Fine-tuned and Focused - 70%

eetfuk666, April 3rd, 2013

Arroganz found me in a strange place. I had just listened to two previous bands which I lauded for keeping it real and to the point, and then Arroganz came along with their fusion genre of black/death metal, their typical black metal insistence to remain anonymous and their rebelliously spelt album name and I admit I was slightly apprehensive.

When the first track began I found myself liking where the music was heading. The band has an intense death metal sensibility that turned their black metal foundation in a more listenable direction. They also happen to have an intense black metal sensibility that turned their death metal influences in a darker, more stylistic direction.

That’s what I call “making the best of both worlds”. Perhaps it’s just the band’s German practicality. Anyway, I listened on and found myself impressed with how tactfully and tastefully the band had melded black into death. Most times a track was straight up death with hint of mlack metal or vice versa. It got me thinking that Arroganz probably has an experimental streak, which they were intent on translating into a fusion genre. I have to say, it works well for them, whereas most times for some other bands, their plan backfires when their music just ends up sounding like metalcore, which is sad because no self-professed death or black metallers wants their music to sound like metalcore.

The record went on, and I was further pleased by the fact that vocalist “K” was the kind of guy who makes sure that even when he’s screaming; you can make out what he’s saying. All this led me to the conclusion that Arroganz are probably perfectionists, who piece every aspect of their music together with meticulous attentiveness, who compile their album with the wisdom and wit of a white wizard, and who sit and run through the album with their brows furrowed, criticising every stylization and scrutinizing every twang of the guitar, which amounts to a very well put together effort. The band clearly has their shit together. There is unity, professionalism, determination and focus in their music and they have a strong foundation in technique and musicality, producing some real quality work.

“Ghost of the Wolf” and “Kaos.Kult.Kreation” are standout tracks in their own ways. The first song is heavy and has a great musicality, while the second song’s strong points are in how well-put together it is as the title track and flag bearer for the entire album. It’s heavy, but not senselessly so, as it retains its listenable and perceptive value. Overall, this is a solid band with a solid musical vision. It’s a good effort and it’s pleasing to know that there is a possibility that some bands out there take their music as seriously as Arroganz does.

Originally written for http://www.metal-temple.com