Amazing Restart - 86%

Cuirassier, January 26th, 2005

This being their first actual release since they left behind their days as Mortem (generic death metal), this is a very impressive first step. No more of that kinda rumbly 'raw' death metal, this is atmospheric blackesque metal. It starts with the song My Angel, which in my opinion could easily be one of Arcturus' best songs. The lyrics may not be all that great, and the musicianship is not their best, but the whole atmosphere of absolute doom and despair is presented in a creative way I have not heard of before, nor since. It is almost entirely based around synth, but you can still here the band, some parts better than others.
The next song, Morax, was quite pleasurably listenable to. It is a melting pot of future Arcturus riffs, as if they went back to this song and collected up their favorite parts and expanded them into songs. The most noticeable example of this is Wintry Grey, listen to it and you will see what I mean. Overall, this EP is great, very short, but I thought it was deffinately worth my money. If you're into atmospheric music, or black metal, you would not be dissapointed with this little masterpiece.