Brilliant! - 95%

rasmushastrup, March 20th, 2007

Note: this review concerns the digipack version with the extra video cd.

This album just blows you away. It's really, really good. It must be one of the best black metal albums ever, and would probably be included among the twenty best metal albums of all times. Yes, I know this sounds somewhat over the top, but I honestly think it deserves all the accolades that can be heaped upon it.

This album represents, in my opinion, everything that extreme metal should be: it's fast, it's heavy, it's belligerent, and it's just so amazingly, overall badass. These guys know how to rock!

Even though many of the songs kind of blend into one another, it never gets boring. There's just enough variation to ensure everlasting (I think) listening pleasure. One aspect that really amazes me is how Archgoat manage to be both supremely fast (at times) and crushingly heavy. Often you encounter bands that sacrifice either speed or heaviness for the sake of the other, but Archgoat (along with bands like Coldworker and Skinless) create the perfect mix.

The vocals are nothing short of incredible. Lord Angelslayer has a deep, raspy voice that would suit any black or death metal band. The musicians are very talented, but they apparently don't need to flaunt their talent by trying to incorporate too many annoying elements into their music. They just don't want to be Necrophagist. Straight up extreme metal that never ever gets boring takes talent, too, make no mistake about it.

If you're lucky enough to get your hands on the digipack version, you'll get treated to some decent live material from this band. The camera work is sort of home video quality, but the sound, at one of the shows at least, is surprisingly good. Loads of spikes and corpsepaint, loads of good, evil fun.

This album is destined to remain among my favorites for a long, long time.