Nice. - 89%

Hermie, July 9th, 2004

This album just hits a spot for me. I can't explain it, really, but I just like it. It starts off with the song 'Father Time', which is a decent opener because it's one of those songs with some catchy riffs right in the beginning to get you hooked. This song gets repetitive after a while, as it's pretty much five minutes of the same stuff. Moving onto the second track, West World. Wow... This song is basically what makes me like this album as much as I do. Good riffs, nice vocals, solid drumming. Not only that, but it's refreshing to hear after the bland song before it. Another thing I like about this particular track is what it progresses into. The first part of the song is pretty good stuff, but it turns into an even more enjoyable half with plenty of guitar emphasizing.

Twilight Of Modern Man is more of the same, on a lesser extent. Then there's Alexander The King, which is probably my next favorite track. Right away the guitars pick up and start shredding, so it's catchy right from the beginning, except it actually stays nice and enjoyable, unlike Father Time. The Day Time Stood Still is another great. It's also an instrumental, so it can be enjoyed by people who dislike Steve Plocica's singing. Again, plenty of spotlight for Tony Fredianelli and Chip Chrovian, their two guitarists.

The album seems to pick up from here, going from a side with more emphasis on speed to a side that's harder, more aggressive, and the overall atmosphere of it just seems.. . I guess you could say pessismistic. The Hour Glass starts off like you'd expect from any other Apocrypha song, but almost everything changes. The guitars get heavier, the bass lightens up and Mike Poe's drumming style changes. It's pretty much like this through H.G. Wells and The Man Who Saw Tomorrow. Mystic is different, though. For the most part it's slower and more emotional, which was obviously intended since it's the outro, yet it manages to keep it's catchy, riff-friendly style.

The only song I didn't like was the opener because I found it too repetitive. Everything else is decent to good, especially West World. I have to say I'm really disappointed that Apocrypha broke up and Tony Fredianelli moved on to form Third Eye Blind, a generic pop rock band that doesn't allow him to show off his true skill... but anyway, would I recommend getting this album, somehow? Definitely, especially considering it's available for free on Tony Fredianelli's site.