Chellos Go Mallcore - 15%

CannibalCorpse, February 7th, 2007

I decided to check out this single due to some weird uprising interest in a band I liked years ago. Apocalyptica were an original force once who reached their creative peak in the quite impressive album "Cult". A while ago, I heard parts of "Reflections" and their self-titled album, but quickly lost interest again.

So recently, i saw this new single on MA and decided to check it out. For some weird reason, the single had Max Cavalera on it, which made me hesitant, but I thought "maybe the old fag got some metal left in his bones" - but boy, I couldn't have been more wrong.

Apocalyptica goes for straight mallcore on "Repressed". They've never been too far away from commercialism but somehow, they always managed to be exciting or at least mildly entertaining, but "Repressed" is simply horrible. It has the retarded monkey shouting from our beloved Neo-Cavalera, some whiney Linkin Park-esque background vocals (which I later found out was the guy from Bullet For My Valentine) and 3 cellos playing groovy nu-metal "riffs". I just listened to the song again but can't remember a single drumbeat, so I guess they are as "good" as the rest of the song. The lyrics are your typical Soulfly; "So why the fuck am I lonely, there’s no one inside I can call" - Our fellow Neo-monkey's trademark.

I was pretty shocked after hearing this track. "Repressed” is, without a doubt, the single worst moment in Apocalyptica's history.

"Path Vol. 2" - one of the songs that made them famous in the first place - some pretty good instrumental work, with female nu-rock vocals on top. Her vocals are passable, but nowhere near exciting or even good, so better listen to the instrumental work more closely.

"Betrayal" is supposed to be a thrash metal track, but falls flat on the bad sound of the chellos. Yeah, it's fast and considerably brutal, but lacks finesse and direction. The best part is the calm outro, which reminds of older Apocalyptica moments ("Cult" comes to mind). This outro leaves a bitter taste in the mouth, since it clearly shows what Apocalyptica were capable of once, but nowadays their creativity seems to have dried in the dust.

There is absolutely no reason for having this single. All songs but the title track were released elsewhere at least once or twice and the actual new material is best forgotten.

Avoid at all costs.