Let Down By Lame B-Side - 70%

DeathRiderDoom, May 23rd, 2009

Anvil – School Love

Here we have an excellent catchy Anvil classic – one of their more melodic numbers which is sure to get stuck in your head. The b-side however, is a throwaway cover a song which has been covered way too many times. School love is a great party anthem, and really is catchy as all hell. I love the sleaziness evident in this one.

‘School Love’ is more simplistic than a majority of your later Anvil numbers – for example the material on Backwaxed. Its main hallmark is the incredibly effective and minimalist chorus which is great to sing along to with your drunken buddies. I like the progression of guitars that have an almost punk-ish tinge to ‘em, being pretty buzzsaw-ish and recorded well. The guitar solo here reminds me little bit of Ace Frehley-era KISS, which isn’t a bad thing. Great production on this one brings out every instrument making for a powerful mix, particularly the songs finally, which has some great 360 degree-ness to it. A top notch track which is let down by a lame b-side.

-DeathRiderDoom