Taking my time in vain - 5%

schwaba, April 16th, 2009

In this period I was hungry for Anthrax material, I was buying almost everything, so I buy this EP also, as it was very cheap and has the rare stuff from WCFYA album sessions. On the first look it was pretty good, one non-album track, and 2 cover songs, but choice of songs wasn't promising, the bands were U2 and The Police, the bands which is hard to be connected with Anthrax, but Anthrax is band that always can pull something good and unexpected from every song.

Taking the music back, is radio friendly song, like songs Safe home or Think about the end from same album, groove material (like many songs from SOWN or Vol.8 album) and it isn't something to talk about, as song doesn’t go anywhere from the start, it's for me quite annoying song (specially the chorus). When I first listen this album, I was hoping that this would be an old school song, because of the name and the lyrics (which in the end was bad, simplistic, out of real idea - just to have some text to sing), but it was just disappointment as whole album.

Ghost is song that couldn’t make it on album, but it is better than some songs from the album, (for me better than Taking the music back) although song is quite short, but with mid paced tempo and a little bit annoying siren in background. The cover of U2 song is boring, it doesn't offer you anything; simply throw away track, bad choice and bad execution, just boring. So monotonous song I didn’t heard for a long time. Something better is song Next to you (The Police cover), as it has faster pace, but vocals are done poorly, lame... you can't compare these songs to the some old cover songs, this is just lifeless.

And for the videos, nothing special, some concert material. It was cheap but it was total waste of money. I believe that this band has lost his mark in Bush period, writing only few good (groove) songs per album, and that songs can't stand against pre-bush period songs (I have nothing against John Bush as a singer). So I gave in the end only 5 point for the Ghost song.

Fucking Terrible - 3%

DawnoftheShred, December 10th, 2007

If there's one band's decline that truly saddens me, it would have to be the tragic downfall of Anthrax. Even more so than that of Metallica or even Sepultura, Anthrax plummeted from the heights of thrash near-perfection to the cruelly paired depths of mainstream rock and groove metal. This single, taken from their most recent shitfest, is a perfect display of everything that is wrong with this band right now and as much as it pains me to bash these once-greats, material like this leaves me no other choice.

Track one is "Taking the Music Back" from their We've Come for You All album. I know there's a tendency to associate unpleasant "metal" with a Korn/Limp Bizkit/Linkin Park sound without any real grounds other than disappointment, but the best comparison I can think of for this song is Puddle of Mudd. Seriously, John Bush sounds just like the guy and the riffs are limp enough to fit right into their catalog. Nevermind the assertation made in the lyrics, listen to the music: this song was tailored for MTV playability. This is followed by the "previously unreleased" mid-paced chugger "Ghost," which while inifinitely less terrible than the first track, is rendered similarly by the annoying recurring siren sound, one of the worst Anthrax solos ever penned (well, at least it has a solo, I guess), and an unnerving Butthole Surfers/Monster Magnet vibe.

But then comes the promise of cover tracks. To an Anthrax fan, this should bring back warm, fuzzy memories of past covers the band has done. Alice Cooper......S.O.D......the Sex Pistols......wonder what fresh and interesting stuff they'll deliver in the new millennium? Prepare to be monstrously disappointed as the boys kick out the jams with renditions of U2 and the Police. "Exit," the former, is unbearably mellow and uninteresting, while "Next to You" is punky but harmless. They might as well have covered Jewel and Blink 182, respectively.

Don't let the allure of video clips entice you into acquiring this little tidbit of Anthrax's shameful modern state. Aside from the only mostly horrid "Ghost," this is sonic excrement, condemned to the deepest, dustiest reaches of bargain bins worldwide. If you're unfortunate enough to welcome it into your home and into your stereo, I promise you'll be quick to welcome it into your garbage can shortly thereafter.