For shame, I don't completely hate this. - 31%

hells_unicorn, June 1st, 2008

As much as I hate to say it, the title song on here is actually pretty good, in spite of its being in the worst genre of metal imaginable. Picture some of the better Pantera moments on “The Great Southern Trendkill” and you’ll have a good sense of how it listens. The groove section where Bush starts screaming out a slightly weaker version of Phil Anselmo’s is pretty muddy and crappy, but the rest of the song is pretty tight and together. I don’t know if Scott Ian is the one who plays the solo or not, but whoever it was, it’s a solid rendition of some of Dimebag’s early 90s material, something otherwise unheard of from a band that grooves to the beat of the all mighty core.

The rest of what is on here though, which is either more crappy groove core or absolute fucking elevator rock. “Giving the Horns” is a mango sized shit right on the head of the entire concept, mocking the metal genre with its primitive tribal grooves and loose assed guitar tone. One riff on here sounds close to “Vulgar Display of Power” style Pantera, but not the positive aspects of the album, and has similarly stupid lyrics. The Radiohead cover is an absolute joke, they literally didn’t do anything different with the song at all. Scott Ian basically mimics their dry rock guitar tone perfectly, Benante does the same with his snare drum, and John Bush succeeds in being a slightly manlier yet equally as out of tune version of Thom Yorke. Whether it’s this version of the original, 30 minutes later I wake up, clean the drool from my chin and wonder what the hell I was doing earlier.

Anthrax’s utter hatred for metal may have subsided a little on “Volume 8: The Threat is Real” when compared to the abominable “Stomp 442”, but their still stuck in groove land, completely under the oppressive thumb of Scott Ian’s all commercialism, zero principles, sensibilities. I could maybe see downloading “Inside Out” by itself, but I’d only recommend picking up the rest of this if your planning on using it to aid in child delivery, since some anecdotal testimony suggest that the amount of sheer pain listening to “Giving the Horns” can make a woman in child labor forget about the pain being caused by her present condition.