The real mix between rap and metal! - 75%

The_Soul_Punisher, July 19th, 2008

After discovering that Anthrax has done a song in which they rap, I immediately began to look for it. After finding it I expected a boring song full with rap cliches. I was wrong. This song is very fun. The guitars are heavy and the lyrics are just hilarious. This is the direction "nu metal" should have taken. The drums are very good (like in any Anthrax song) and the bassline is very catchy. The vocals are very strange for a metal song (yes, they are rapped) though very good. I do not know why people hate this song. The other song is Caught in a Mosh (live). I do not like this version. I can not hear the vocals and drums well, and it is something that piss me off. Another negative about this live version is that I feel that Dan Spitz and Scott Ian messed up too much in this recording. I am giving this single 75 percent because of the Caught in a Mosh live version. I recommend you to get this single instead of buying the ep because I'm The Man is repeated three times in th ep so you are not getting enough music for what you are paying.

Finally, if you hate rap but are curious to see how rap and metal can mix well, get this song!

For da cheap ass thrash gangsta. - 72%

hells_unicorn, May 29th, 2008

For all the cheapskates of the late 80s who didn’t want to spend a few extra dollars for the extended version of this goofy rap/metal parody before there was such a thing, “I’m the Man” also came in this fun sized version. In some respects you could say that this was the preferable version since it got rid of a pointless live version of the title track and a horrid censored version which provoked images of Tipper Gore chopping the balls off of the 1st Amendment. But unfortunately it also omitted a decent live version of “I am the Law” and a pretty solid remake of “Sabbath Bloody Sabbath”.

There isn’t really any other way to describe the title track of this single than as a cult classic amongst thrash fans. Sure, maybe it aided Faith No More in bringing about the precedent that led to nu-metal, but at least we can take comfort in knowing that abomination of a genre is literally the offspring of a complete joke, only in the case of the later crop they are trying to be serious while doing so, which doubles the laugh factor. Between the Twisted Sister sounding guitar riffs, the fairly decent Beastie Boys imitations, and the really heavily overdubbed production what comes out is quite amusing to the ears. Next to it, the “Caught in a Mosh” live track functions as sort of a decent after thought. It’s as well executed as the studio version, with the human metronome Charlie Benante giving his usual flawless performance and Belladonna sounding a little bit hoarse, but still mostly on his game.

Finding this single anywhere today would likely be next to impossible unless you combine dumb luck with a library auction or pawnshop. You will still occasionally find versions of the EP floating around, which has more goodies to offer, but also a bit of unnecessary stuff. Sadly about 10 years after Scott Ian and company conceived of this parody, they decided to morph their entire sound into it, but without the sarcasm or the slapstick. It’s tough to know how to feel about the trend that this may well have started, but the song itself is all in good fun, and unlike Limp Bizkit, is executed by a band that actually knows what the hell they’re doing.