Amusing - 75%

TexanCycoThrasher, June 16th, 2009

Anthrax the thrash band that experimented into the realms of rap-metal, mainly as a joke, which is quite an amusing one.

Well there’s no doubt that this would be well produced, but the mix is nice and clear everything is heard at decent levels. But the S.O.D. cover is a little troubling, with the down tuning, being quite portent of things to come for these guys. Musicianship is the same for these guys, with Scott & Dan playing some great energy pumped guitar riffs & a decent solo on Milk, and the odd outro on that very song is amusing as well. The rhythm section is good, Charlie does some intriguing fills on Bring the Noise. Frank’s bass fills are well heard and lively to boot, Milk’s pretty much where you’ll hear most of the bass though. But Joey does quite a good job on the S.O.D. cover showing how truly fast he can go. But the Bring the Noise featuring the entire Anthrax crew plus Public Enemy is an entertaining endeavor, fusing thrash’s gang shouts with Flava’s “YaaaaaaBoi”s is somewhat odd. But it’s even more amusing that Scott gets some limelight on the Public Enemy cover as the vocalist for verses three & four.

Well this is an amusing experience, if you don’t take it seriously, but it’s good for a few laughs-75%

[note: this review was for the Promo-disk version with two tracks]

Anthrax Antics Part 4. - 68%

hells_unicorn, May 30th, 2008

Just when we thought that Anthrax couldn’t get more neck deep in the rap metal monster they created years before, the New York based thrash pioneers throw this little curiosity our way. It seems a little odd that Chuck D and his gang of black panther uniform wearing homeboys would be down for the struggle with a band that personifies whiteness. Although this was around the time that Scott Ian was sporting his new pharaoh beard, so I guess the appearance of one band member possibly being from the Northeastern African nation was close enough to taking it to the man without Public Enemy losing any of their street cred.

“Bring the Noise” reminds us that occasionally rap can be fun, but as always it’s dependent upon what is going on with the background music. The riffs are pretty repetitive and primitive sounding, and most likely leftovers from the “Persistence of Time” writing sessions. It’s a little bit more varied than the classic Run DMC song “King of Rock”, although we aren’t treated to any kind of lead guitar work. Basically, as is often the case whenever Scott Ian has a limited riff well to draw from, Benante ends up carrying the song, and that’s the case here as well. Nevertheless, despite this being pretty predictable, it’s miles ahead of any of the garbage that Kid Rock has ever put out.

The B-sides are a slight step up, but aren’t really anything that screams “this is something that I absolutely need to hear”. We have a live version of “Keep it in the family”, which is very competently pulled off, but as a whole doesn’t really showcases any wild differences from the studio version. The re-recording of “I am the Law” is basically the same story; we’re treated to the same exact song with a crisper drum production and a heavier guitar tone. You literally can not hear any difference in Belladonna’s vocal performance, which is pretty impressive considering all the abuse his voice has probably taken while on tour on and off for the past 6 years.

Basically, this is adequate and pretty enjoyable, but this isn’t something that is as humorous as “I am the man”, nor does it have a signature part that sticks in the memory. Everything just goes through the motions, sounding good when it’s on, but leaving you with very little to hold onto. This material has been dispersed amongst a couple of different compilations, all of which have their fair share of crap on them as Anthrax loves their genre-bending gimmick songs and covers more than their classics, so go for the download option on this one.