Ruined To Contemptuous Profanity - 88%

thrashtidote, September 9th, 2012

Antediluvian, though a relatively newly formed apparition are proving to be even more squamous and prolific than I would have imagined. Just a couple of months ago, they unleashed a introspective torrent of cavernous evil upon mankind alongside with fellow countrymen Adversarial, whom, also undeniably made Canada proud with their ultra-sophisticated brand of abysmal aberration and hellish brute force, and yet that ebbing, infinite tide of impiety does not seem to cease. Antediluvian's work on this two sided split is fairly short, but despite its brevity, I can't help but think the band's efforts nearly inordinate, as less than a year after the release of the darkened pillar of dissonance, ''Through The Cervix Of Hawaah'' they relinquish their ideas and already they have half the material to forge an album - one that I will most gladly embrace and worship.

On the other side of the split, we have an act that's even rawer than its split-mate, the Australian Temple Nightside. I can imagine that a number of people who heard about the blackened incandescence of ''Through The Cervix Of Hawaah'' are not quite well acquainted with Temple, which most probably because Profound Lore Records knew to grab the brighter bulbs in the batch (Mitochondrion, Antediluvian), but there's also a little gab caused by the band's overall discography. Temple released an excellent EP the previous year, though it was mostly shadowed by either more the more superior releases on its kind that exploded in the same time, or by the lack of advertisement, both of gaps which are about to be closed with this split. These primal black metal cavemen deliver crude and incessant torture, and while the total length of their sole track on this split is just a pinch longer than Antediluvian's material, it still manages to get the drool in your mouth dripping for another release.

Antediluvian are incredible as always, and flawless evil is an art that they've practiced and endeavored to achieve so many times that it literally comes spawning out from their veins in ghastly, diminishing rupture. The stance maintained on both the lauded full-length and the latter split with Adversarial was generally a trudging, indulgent one, mainly sticking to the monolithic aesthetics of doom to underpin the channeling, churning evil that was going on above, but on ''Cogitating Vacuous'', the Canadians embrace a less harrowing type of aggravating clawing torture, and produce relatively more dynamic excursions of festering, soupy tremolo density, the node wherein Incantation and other unholy specters join and collide, smothering. While it goes a mid-paced tempo for the most part of the song, the spiraling monster morphs into a profane doom-tinged chomp n' stomp during the finalizing minute, an absolutely tremendous simple riffs made atmospheric with a melancholic and utterly profane, nostalgic melody, still tinging in my ears. Temple Nightside are perhaps not so profound about exploring evil as Antediluvian, but their fiery, abrasive mutilation is an intriguing experience, too. The Australian duo firstly choose a primal and raw production for their music to go through, and they load up their artillery with necrotic, disseminating chords, switching from doom to war metal to Incantation mid-pace quicker than you can say ''Cogitating Vacuous''. The vocals are laden with obscurity and abrasive hate both, and the guttural deliveries exceed especially during the faster moments of shadowy brilliance.

The verdict here is obvious. The two abominations of blackened death metal once again fabricate material that ensure their grasp on evil, and while the main reason I got this split was because it featured an exclusive track from Antediluvian, Canada's finest in my opinion, (and I still think their part of the split was better) I can't deny that Australians killer black/death scene is growing more ominous and efficient with Temple. What else can I say about this split? It' everything I want in one, small package. The whole profusion is abstract, otherworldly, chthonic, surreal, and everything religion worked upon is now a mere gathering of rubble, picking up dust as a new, profane ritual starts blossoming as we speak. Go forth, the dark winds are uttering you name.

Highlights:
Communion With The Void
Somnambulent Of The Void

Rating: 88%

Emanations from the Void - 75%

ultraviolet, July 21st, 2012

While it’s summertime (with Athens, Hellas boiling at 40oC ) and things tend to be somewhat more loose, it’s the perfect time of the year to check various interesting 7’’ releases like the unholy alliance between the Canadian monolithic force of Antediluvian and the Australian darkness of Temple Nightside via the always impressive Nuclear Winter label.

With both bands having made a certain impact last year, this split release comes as a good chance for them to fill voids between full-lengths and experiment (only a bit though) with their sound. The Canadians’ side, “Communion With The Void”, is a four-minute attack that skips the more chaotic and rhythm-changing approach of “…Hawwah”, in favor of a primitive and aggressive pounding that goes back to the era of the first demos, and only holds pace for about a minute before closing with a fitting atmospheric tune. Double vocal attacks are a highlight too.

On the other side od the vinyl, we get 6 minutes of utter darkness from Australian force Temple Nightside, the newest vessel of expression for IV (or Desolate or Mitch Keepin) of Ill Omen, Nazxul (and many others) fame. “Prophecies Of Malevolence” EP was one of 2011’s finest debuts in the scene of obscure black/death metal. Here, in contrast to the Antediluvian side, things get even more chaotic and murky, compared to the tracks of the EP. In fact, the first impression is totally unclear as a thick sonic wall stands between the listener and the actual happenings of the track, giving a very fitting meaning to the title “Somnambulant Of The Void”. But when concentrated and truly devoted to the music, one can detect the old-school death metal riffing flowing out everywhere amongst this song and get lost within the dines created when things slow down dangerously. This is real DEATH metal, only disguised under a deceiving blackmetal mantle.

Originally written for: