Gravely under-estimated band. - 95%

paranj, July 22nd, 2009

Anonymus is a band with a lot of talent yet no appreciation. They have never retreated and they have kept on releasing great albums, one after the another. This, their debut album, is one evidence of their talent and skill. You can say that the album is going to be awesome from the moment go. The album is pure thrash but a little on the melodic side.

The instrumentation on this album kicks ass. The guitar riffs are awesome and versatile. Most of the album is on the speedy side. The riffs are decently technical but they are wicked sounding and very catchy. They are melodic too! The album makes sure that you bang your fucking head from the start till end with it's relentless riff attack. The album never feels boring, never feels generic. The solos are orgasmic and blazing fast. The drumming is a complement to the album. They are fast, they are brutal and they are spot on. The drummer never falls behind the guitarists and always keeps up. His drum lines are quite interesting too! They never feel monotonous or boring. The bass is not too audible but that's quite usual with cheaply produced thrash albums. That was my main greviance with it and my main qualm for deducting some score. Though at some points (like the intro of 'Amen' Toe`), the bass emerges out and it sounds quite decent and up to the mark. The vocals are low pitched yet quite clean. They aren't too screamed or distorted and therefore, they feel different, good and unique. The lyrics are non-English and non-decipherable by me.

I really hate that bands such as this are really under-rated and unpopular. This band has immense talent and a potential to release quality material (their present discography proves it.). I have most of their albums and they have never failed my trust. If you love thrash, pick this album up!

good debut - 92%

Thrash_Till_Death, December 3rd, 2002

Anonymus is a band of many talents and prove it with each release. This is their debut and its one great debut. It is all in French, but over the course of their next three cds they use French, English & Spanish.

The cd is generally a fast paced cd, with songs that sometimes are similar sounding to Metallica, Justice for All era, though in French and better. The singing is similar to that on the above mentioned ...And Justice for All cd, but only at times. There are a few musical moments that sound like they are from a 80s Metallica cd(see Crémoécrémoépas, Choisir ou moisir). Don't be thrown off by this though, as the band still maintains credibility in their own sound and by singing in French. The music is great on this cd and all instruments shine. There is lots of solos, fast double bass and you can almost always hear the bass, which is a nice touch. Also, all the songs have an average playing time of about 4 minutes, which is a good length for a song. The cd clocks in with a total playing time of 46:06.

Overall this is a really good cd, even though if you don't understand French, you don't know what they are saying. The production is good, but could maybe be a tad better. I can't really complain though, I love this cd. I love all the cds from Anonymus and they are definetly one band from Montreal to look out for (they've opened for Anthrax & Blind Guardian). Best songs: Choisir ou moisir, Ni vu, ni connu, Démonomane.

On a side note, if you get the chance to see these guys live, do it. They are a very energetic live band and play their songs faster and more aggressivly than they are on the cds.