Edu Falaschi rocks! - 97%

ijy10152, June 11th, 2012

After the split of Angra and subsequent loss of Andre Matos and Luís Mariutti No-one had any idea of what to expect from Angra. With the release of Fireworks; while its a solid album, it was lacking in the metal department and leaning a little too much towards pop metal I think. Fortunately Angra made a complete 180 producing an album not only on level with Holy Land (which was their best album before this), but surpassing it as well. The sound in this is still up-beat and happy, but it's more powerful putting them back into the power metal category, with a lot more riffing and heavier guitars, as well as more bass and really letting the drums drive the music, setting it at a faster pace. Also, Edu Falaschi is SOOO much better than Matos. To be honest Matos' voice was the only thing that stopped me from really getting into the earlier Angra, I found his tone quality to be questionable and kind of boring. Edu, has a great range and a much edgier voice which fits this style of music so much better.

First off, In Excelsis is a very solid introduction leading perfectly into the best song on this album; Nova Era is a master piece of a power metal song with a great chorus some amazing soloing and is just a great metal tune. Then Millennium Sun is a fantastic half ballad starting off really slow and melodic, building into a good mid paced metal song with a great solo and One of my favorite chorus's of all time. Acid Rain is another great metal song with a really awesome groove that just makes it a very accessible song. The chorus is another winner by Angra; it's short, but it's pretty catchy and fun to sing so certainly no complaining there. Heroes of sand is a decent mid paced song that actually makes a great sing-a-long. Unholy Wars is another gem from this album, it starts out with some of that Brazilian/south American groove leading into probably the fastest heaviest song on this album. The rest of this album is good with, but not quite as good as the first half, making this an especially good album as a whole because there are no weak songs in this, they're all good songs.

For a band practically returning from the dead, this is pretty damn good, most bands like Rhapsody of Fire and Stratovarius need an album or two to really get the creative juices flowing after such a drastic change, but not Angra. They cam back with what would be considered their magnum opus had they not created the master piece that is Temple of Shadows 3 years later. This is an excellent power/progressive metal album and definitely one of Angra's best, for metal fans everywhere this is a must own

Absolute magic. - 99%

Andromeda_Unchained, November 29th, 2011

This is my favorite Angra album, and would without thought, make my shortlist of favorite albums. Prior to Rebirth Angra had lost over half of their line-up, leaving Kiko and Rafael to pick up the pieces. Thus, entitling the Rebirth was an apt decision for the album, signaling the rebirth of Brazil's finest export.

Everything here oozes brilliance, I've lost count of how many times I've spun this album, yet the magic is always there, never diminishing; in fact increasing. This has the beauty of being both instantly gratifying, as well as boasting enough depth for it to hold up to play, after play, after play.

The song selection is second to none, from the order they appear, to the performances, their length, the dynamics; Rebirth is nigh on perfect. The album boasts a feel and atmosphere that I find hard to put into words, I guess it is very clean, like a breath of fresh air or so to say. I can put this on the headphones, close my eyes and imagine myself soaring through the sky, the potent air filling my lungs, wind in my sails, kissing the azure.

Opening with a short intro that leads nicely into opener "Nova Era", which is an exercise in power metal brilliance and the perfect start to the album. "Millenium Sun" takes the semi ballad approach, and we see newcomer Edu Falaschi asserting his excellent mid to low range over classy piano work before the whole band kick around a minute and a half in. The riff is pure progressive power metal awesomeness, with a laid back fluid feel, Edu again asserts his authority, and I'm left thinking Andre who?

"Acid Reign" is one of the best Angra songs, and can only really be described as nuts. I feel this song is a perfect example of what the words progressive power metal mean in my head. The mid-section to this tune is as daring as it is exciting, Kiko and Rafael pull out all the stops here and the guitar solos are absolutely insane. "Heroes of Sand" is a poignant ballad, performed exceptionally, you can always rely on Angra to deliver a good ballad.

The second part of the album takes us further into progressive territory, "Unholy Wars" serves as the centerpiece to Rebirth with traditional Brazilian flair spliced with a bluesy sun-kissed riff, the track builds for a good while before dropping out into some double kicks before leading us into the speed metal zone. Again the mid-section here is mind-numbing with some stupendous bass work to set it all off. The title track utilizes similar arrangement to "Millenium Sun" and is a real cool number.

I've essentially veered into track by track here, but considering this is a favorite of mine I feel the majority of the tracklist deserves some sort of mention. Before concluding I have to mention "Running Alone" an idyllic affair in power metal brilliance, this song never fails to paint a smile across and that damn chorus is as catchy as it is uplifting.

It would be an understatement to say that I bow to the brilliance of Rebirth. From the moment I first heard it I knew it was special, and since then I've continued to listen. Dennis Ward did a great job in getting this album to sound as bright and magical as it does. I pity any power metal fan without this in their collection. Mandatory

Yet to be surmounted in their catalogue - 96%

AnalogKid, November 8th, 2011

“Healing whispers of the angels bring the sunrise again…”

Thus sayeth the wise Edu Falaschi in the first few minutes of Angra’s momentous return to form after parting ways with previous members Andre Matos, Ricardo Confessori (destined to return for 2010′s “Aqua”), and Luis Mariutti. Just as many fans were left wondering what was to become of the band, “Rebirth” dropped jaws worldwide while baptizing the new lineup in a whole new high-octane style of power-prog that offered more punch and complexity than the band’s previous efforts.

While the Brazilians previously established themselves as one of the premier metal acts in their home country with great records like “Holy Land” and “Angels Cry”, the intensity of “Rebirth” left them alone at the top of the heap in their chosen genre. Not only did the band rebound quickly from losing half its members, but managed to write its strongest material yet. While the prelude/opening song combination has always been a strong point for Angra, “In Excelsis” and “Nova Era” take this strength to new heights, and the combination is one of my very favorites at the beginning of an album. Also known for blending tempos and incorporating native Brazilian elements and conventional symphonic sounds, “Rebirth” brings these sounds to the forefront, in addition to emphasizing the band’s guitar work like never before.

Need evidence of the maturity of the band’s composition? Look no further than the sublimely epic “Acid Rain”, the breathtaking “Running Alone”, or the superb blend of indigenously inspired melodies and power metal speed of “Unholy Wars”. Even at their softer moments, the ballad “Heroes Of Sand” and the moderate title track, Angra has never to this day written more infectious and accessible material. The dual fire-spitting guitar attack of Loureiro and Bittencourt, always been a cornerstone, has manifested here in the fastest, most impressive example of their work together. From this point forward, it more or less became expected from them on every album.

“Rebirth” stands alone amongst Angra’s catalog as being the one true example of pure high-speed melodic power metal that the band has produced. While highly technical, it doesn’t have the pronounced progressive flair of the group’s later albums, while simultaneously featuring much more bombast and dramatics than earlier efforts like “Holy Land” and “Fireworks”. Along with the mighty “Temple Of Shadows”, this is generally considered to be the band’s finest work, and for good enough reason.

A couple of listens through will have any fan of fine progressive power on their knees, weeping and blubbering for mercy. Though it’s a happy, religious-tuned, and rip-roaring power metal adventure, most metal fans will find something to appreciate on “Rebirth” (which is perhaps one of the most apt album titles I’ve ever come across). Some might call “Rebirth” the album that Angra produced before they “focused their energy” and created the epic “Temple Of Shadows”, but I think that this work was instrumental in phasing the band from one era to another, and what better way to do it than fill it with the galloping power metal that appears occasionally on albums across the rest of their career?

Angra is clearly pleased with this effort, and so overwhelmingly am I. As Edu stated for the band, it’s “time to fly”.

Originally written for blackwindmetal.com/

This can only be described in one way... - 100%

PowerDaso, June 27th, 2010

... Very excellent, even though that is gramatically incorrect.

Back in the 90's, Angra did various good releases that gave them the lead in Brazilian power metal. After the huge abscence of 3 years and the departure of basically the whole band, this rank was placed in risk, knowing that it would probably not be the same band as it was and that many other bands had came up during their hiatus. They came up with this album, 'Rebirth', a true masterpiece in prog power metal that can only be acknowledged and not criticized.

Angra is a prog-influenced band, so their sound is bound to variate repeatedly. The overall atmosphere for the album is pretty relaxing and cooled-off, evident proof of this are the songs "Rebirth", "Millenium Sun", "Heroes of Sand" and "Visions Prelude", the three first of these being started with slow parts and

Let's talk a bit about Edu Falaschi. Along the album, you'll listen to him singing mostly on high pitched ranges and at times keeping it cool, adding a necessary relaxing atmosphere after some speedy sections in songs. Edu has an awesome management of his vocal range, as well as he knows when to go higher in range or deeper. The talented work of Loureiro and Bittencourt is definitelly highlightable, as it gives the perfect atmosphere for their new singer, Edu Falaschi, to stand out as much as it is needed for a singer, but not overshadowing the other instruments. He is often criticized and compared to the former singer, Andre Matos. In my opinion, Falaschi is better, since not only his range but his vocal control is much better, as well as his vocal parameters are. He adds this album a touch of perfection that Matos would not be able to give.

So, there is still something else I would like to mention individually: the performance of each of the musicians (with Falaschi as an exception, since I talked about him already). Both of the guitarrists, Loureiro and Bittencourt, are between the most talented in the whole Brazil, and they show it off in here. The guitars get excellent solos and stand out a lot with some of the best riffs in power metal that I've ever heard. Felipe Andreoli is the new bassist and he is already getting a spotlight on him. Besides from getting stunning bass lines he gets a bass solo on "Unholy Wars", which is pretty much a climax in the album. Aquiles Priester, the new drummer, gets to play nice rhythms, interesting interludes and of course set the base for everything that is being played. The unknown keyboardist also performs an excellent job in many songs, especially "Running Alone" and "Visions Prelude".

I think this is a pretty mature sounding album, enjoyable at every single moment, and it is sure to provide an entertaining while to any listenet. With it, Angra definitelly kept the leadership of the Brazilian power metal scene and they keep to have it so far. This album is unlikely to be topped.

Highlights: All of them, keeping even higher "Nova Era", "Heroes of Sand", "Unholy Wars", "Rebirth" and "Judgement Day"

Rebirth: Forgiven Return? - 92%

arkbath, December 8th, 2004

It seems that the old Angra has been erased. Neither the “reborn” Angra nor the new band from their former members, Shaman, will repeat the precious jewel that Fireworks was. But I’m not saying this album is bad, au contraire, it’s great, musical experimentation is over for Angra and they returned to the power metal trend in a way I didn’t expected after I knew about the split between the main composition forces of old Angra, Matos and guitarists Loureiro and Bittencourt. I still believe Fireworks is their best release, but Rebirth is a nice power metal album and the new members (more than half of the band) are showing how they can fill equally or maybe better the shoes of old members.

Maybe Edu Falaschi can’t sing as high as Matos, but I like more his style, with a more steady and aggressive voice and his musical contribution is the perfect match for the ideas of the guitarists. Aquiles Priester may not be as versatile as Ricardo Confessori, but he is an incredible drummer, suiting perfectly for the style Angra is handling now. And on the bass, Felipe Andreoli is a young man that I didn’t expected to be as great as Luis Mariutti. You may listen carefully to the bass lines on this album, they are not as recognizable as in the first releases of Angra (I mean, no solos), but as a bass player I just don’t know how can Andreoli play that lines. Kiko Loureiro and Rafael Bittencourt are the remains of old Angra, but renewed, no, wait… they returned to they roots, with a musical style that reminds me more the Angels Cry era. So this indicates that the old, old, old Angra is not totally erased.

Rebirth starts with In Excelsis, an intro that prepares you for the jaw-dropping Nova Era (just as Unfinished Allegro did with Carry On). With this song you can listen how Falaschi is one of the best vocalist in the newcomers’ top metal scene (I hadn’t heard of him before) and his versatility is confirmed with soft songs like the intro on Millennium Sun or Visions Prelude. Acid Rain, the powerful song that remains in your head for a while with their catchy chorus and impressive choral backlines. On the semi-soft side we have Heroes of Sand and the memorable Rebirth, where we can appreciate the work of Angra with acoustic guitars, which I didn’t notice until I heard this song. The arpeggio is so sweet and then electric guitars break in changing the tune but not the meaning of the song. Unholy Wars reminds me the Holy Land era, specially the song Carolina IV, because of its Latin percussions and chorus intro, and then becomes more power metal oriented, but it doesn’t matters, it kicks ass. Also the Latin feeling remains with the drum pattern in Judgement Day. One of the songs I like the best is Running Alone because of the choruses and the vocal duties that Falaschi shows on this song.

In fact, Angra is not the same, that disappointed me a little, but I think they’re doing a great job and that’s what counts, they still sound refreshing and this can assure us more Angra for a long time.

Way nicer than the old one! - 100%

Bruno, June 3rd, 2004

Well, finally we have the new Angra! Many people think this line-up is the better that the last one. My opinion on it is: Andre Matos has such a clean and female voice. Not that he is a bad singer, but it was just... too childish. Edu Falaschi is able to sing in a clean way and reach all those high tones Andre did. But he has a "more metal" voice, maybe with a Bruce Dickinson-like technic. Such a great singer! Aquiles Priester in my opinion made the ex-drummer disappeared! In my opinion he is one of the best metal drummers in the world! Sometimes I wonder:"What the...! How can he do that???". He simply kicks ass and his performance is jaw-dropping! And along with the new bassist Felipe Andreoli he makes a solid ground. Felipe's bass appears much more on the album that the last bassist and he is full of technics. All these guys together with the well-known guitarrists and main composers Kiko Loureiro and Rafael Bittencourt make Angra way better, heavier and nicer than the old one! First you have to know that Angra is a completely different band from all these melodic bands we have being seen appearing day after day.

Rebirth begins with an intro called 'In Excelsis'. It prepares the listeners to the concept with keyboards and orchestras. Those strings sound pretty beautiful to me. So the album starts in the right way!

Then 'Nova Era' blasts! It's a typical openner! It starts with riffs and orchestras and then become quite fast! Nova Era is an expression in Portuguese and means 'New Era' in English. The track is breath-taking and the refrain is glorious! Kiko Loureiro fast solo is pretty nice but the song wouldn't be that good and powerful without Aquiles Priester. What a drummer! Just like the other tracks the song is heavy and melodic at the same time. It has become one of the favourite songs of the fans!

Now we have 'Millennium Sun'. It begins with Edu singing followed by a beautiful piano and strings. Then riffs starts and we have a typical melodic metal song but with a 'hard metal' thing I guess. The refrain is great, Edu reaches high tones with his voice. The song is not as fast as 'Nova Era' and the solos are nice duets between Kiko and Rafael.

Now my favourite song at all! 'Acid Rain' is epic! It begins with epic choirs and the keyboards have a special part here though the main thing of the band are the guitars. Edu's vocal lines here were very well composed and sung. He kicks ass here. Great verses, great bridge, great refrain! In the middle we have a keyboards solo followed by Brazilian percussion and from now on it gets even nicer! Solos by Kiko and Rafael with Aquiles changing the rythm from kind of slow in the beginning and fast in the end. This is one of the best songs Angra has ever composed on its carrer! I really loved it! All the keyboards on the album were composed by Kiko who is also a pianist and were played by a professional keyboarder. By the way it's one of the best keyboards I have ever heard on a metal album. It doesn't appear all the time as the band is heavy. But when it comes out it's special and the sounds were very well chosen.

'Heroes of Sand' is a semi-ballad and it's really great! It begins with Edu singing followed by an acoustic guitar and then the stuff gets heavier! It's a strong song and very emotional too. It's nice this cd doesn't have those soft and totally acoustic ballads.

'Unholy Wars' begins with songs from a Brazilian dancing group with percussions and then the song gets pretty fast! Aquiles makes the drums roar here! Great performance! This song has everything! After a bass solo it has a slower part with Edu and after epic choirs Kiko plays a pretty fast solo and everything gets fast again! It's the longest song on the album.

The song that gives title to the album 'Rebirth' begins with Edu's voice being followed by acoustic guitars and then everything become pretty heavy with some choirs! Grandious vocals and a great performance by Aquiles. After the refrain the song gets quite fast with fast solos by Kiko and Rafael! Then the refrain is repeated and finishes in an acoustic way. Great song!

'Judgement Day' begins with a great drums arrangement by Aquiles and then quite heavy guitars appears and pianos. The song is pretty nice and on the refrain Edu shows us what he can do reaching high notes. In the middle of the song, before the solo, the orchestra thing appears followed by the drums and then by Edu's voice. It's a pretty nice and original song!

Now 'Running Alone' turn has come! It begins with very nice epic choirs! But please. You guys can read that throughout this review I mention "epic things" some times. But don't get me wrong, all this classical stuff you find here is not like Rhapsody and all these new melodic metal bands we see nowadays. Especially because Angra is a pretty different melodic band. This is a typical Angra song: it's fast, melodic and heavy! The thing that called my attention was the nice piano solo just before the guitar solo!

The album finishes with 'Visions Prelude' which is adapted from Chopin Op. 24 Prelude in C minor (big, hum?) made by the guitarrist Kiko Loureiro. Good song with piano, orchestra and Edu's voice here is shown full of felling.

So Angra has released the perfect album in my opinion! The band is way nicer than the old one. Waiting for the next album!

At least they found the Power button this time - 85%

OSheaman, July 30th, 2003

With the addition of the freakishly outlandish metal instrument known to a select few as a "guitar," Angra has risen above the Happy World Land dumps of Holy Land to deliver a fairly good Power Metal album.

They actually allow their guitar players to play riffs and solos and such here, and you know what? They're pretty good. The sound is solid and technically accurate, and while the keyboards are still the main instrument (á la Winterheart's Guild), they are very well-played and don't completely smother everything around them. The new vocalist sounds like an actual metal vocalist, and while he's still pretty fruity, he's nowhere near the mind-numbingly saccharine vocals displayed in Holy Land. The bass is a bigger presence here, and the drumming is allowed to carry the songs at a faster pace, which makes the album more coherent and Power-Metal-like. Overall, Angra is a good band once they get their act together in terms of how to distribute the sound.

The best song on here is Nova Era, which has some excellent guitar work and a very cool keyboard solo in the beginning (not to mention a pretty catchy chorus). Millenium Sun is a solid ballad, and Acid Rain has some solid riffage that is brought to the forefront, along with a very strange but interesting solo section. Unholy Wars is probably the heaviest of the songs on here, featuring some actual heavy riff work, plus a serious guitar solo section that is very well-done.

Not everything is peaches and cream. The guitars aren't stretched to their limits like they should be; they tend to spend too much time in general playing background riffs underneath ambient keyboards. Angra also needs to get this R&B thing out of their heads; ballads are OK, but stuff like Visions Prelude is going a bit far. Altogether, though, it's a fairly solid purchase, although if you're not a fan of the style, stay clear, because this sound is pretty heavily entrenched in the "fruity" category.

Marvellous. - 98%

ROCKNEVADIES, December 6th, 2002

Marvellous.

I'd never thought Eduardo Falaschi would fit the void Matos left but he did nicely although I still prefer the latter. Coruscating vocal talent there.

In the guitar department, axmen Kiko and Rafael still prove they can kick ass. As one of the greatest guitar duo around they can sling out sizzling and exploding guitar pyrokenetics as easily as they play soulful solos, influencing the listener's emotions.

The rythm section is first class. Heavier than the original line-up, these guys are up-and-comers. They are like power stations, churning out tons of energy that makes you want to gystrate.

The songs are transcendental! As usual the lyrics are done in Angra's traditional, perculiar way. Very poetic stuff. As usual the music is "positive" and melodic even during the heavier stuff. Spectacular display of musicianship that cracks, sizzles and pops that are the slick time changes and blistering solos.

Overall a masterpiece that deserves to be in the collection of any metalhead or even the casual listener. This stuff is heavy bu accessible due to the melodic sound Angra has.

Witness the Rebirth of a great band.