Solid - 77%

Andromeda_Unchained, April 19th, 2012

You just can't beat a good John Martin album cover, absolutely class. Anyway, Angel Witch seriously need no introduction, unless you just got into metal yesterday. A big player in NWOBHM movement, it's hard to believe this is only the band's fourth full-length although they have had a steady release schedule over the years with ample amounts of live albums, compilations and the like. Before I press on to the actual music here I should mention that: "Geburah", "The Horla", "Brainwashed" and "Upon This Cord" are brand new tracks, whilst "Dead Sea Scrolls" and "Witching Hour" date back to 1983/'84, and "Into The Dark" and "Guillotine" are older live favorites. ("Guillotine" was allegedly supposed to appear on Angel Witch). Now read into that what you may, I'm not one to decry this for featuring old songs especially considering some of the tracks (to my knowledge) haven't appeared on any previous Angel Witch albums.

So, onto the actual music, I've got to say this sounds good. I didn't have much in the way of expectation for this and decided to just take it as it came, and damn was I surprised. The production is ideal, taking archaic roots into modern day territory at the sacrifice of nothing, and I think Kevin's vocals sound pretty good here.

The best tracks here are obviously the older ones, which sound really good, particularly "Dead Sea Scrolls" which is damn cool. "Guillotine" sounds particularly bad arse as well with a cool middle section, and the performances on this track, and across the album are quality. I think fans of the band will definitely enjoy this although it is debatable how much enjoyment the new tracks will bring. For what they are, they are quite good, but coupled with such fiery tracks from the old guard, it kind of dulls their sheen. I think mileage will vary for all listeners concerned here, and it obviously depends on personal preference, and how much of a fan of the band the potential listener is. For me, I think this is a solid release from a quality band. It's good to see Angel Witch back, and hopefully we won't have to wait a ridiculous amount of years for more material.

Originally written for http://www.metalcrypt.com