Burn! - 100%

Childe_Roland, May 7th, 2009

If this demo was recording in a shed in the woods somewhere, then by fuck Angantyr should record all material there, as this is my favorite piece to listen to by said artist.

Scorching with hate and anger towards Christianity, Ynleborgaz brings forth a short but perfect masterpiece, dripping with an epic atmosphere (see Moonblood) that I don’t think I have heard captured on such a short piece, or at all for that matter in a very long time. Torches set fire to Churches, horses’ hooves beat the ground and vicious battles abound on this most wonderful recording. Guitars sweep along at mostly furious speeds, creating a very moody and passion filled atmosphere. The raping of a village now belonging to Christians is set to music and Ynleborgaz will not leave one building left standing. The drumming is also excellent, mostly blasting along but also providing us with some tempo changes that slow it down a bit to let us feel some of the sorrow involved, yet this never takes away from the aggression this man wants to convey.

With an urgency that feels almost desperate, Angantyr provides us with something we have been missing for a while in epic/pagan black metal. While Graveland continues to become more and more of a parody of self, Ynleborgaz’s one man project fills impresses me to no end. even though he doesn’t normal practice this type of black metal, which makes this an even more impressive feat.

A somewhat short review for a somewhat short recording. With that being said, this is an incredibly enjoyable and satisfying listen.

The Harmony of Hatred - 97%

nahtaivel, August 14th, 2008

First of all, I have always been a fan of Angantyr since the first time I listened to it. Ynleborgaz, the genius behind all of these work always came up with nice composed songs and a powerful atmosphere filled with great emotions.

This demo, Nordens Stolte Krigere has the same hateful atmosphere and enjoyable songs. Firstly, the guitar riffs are great. They are not technical, just usual tremolo picked guitar riffs, but the emotions and anger hidden in them are obvious. The bass is audible and gives the production a thicker sound. The drums are played with professionality and they are not always the classic blast-beats. There are different rhythm structures (mid paced or fast ones) and they are all perfect. And the vocals, they are the classic black metal rasps but the lyrics are sung with true emotions, for sure.

There are no flaws of this demo, except one, and that is sometimes you feel like you are listening to the song behind a wall. The production is not great ( that is why i gave it 97%) but also adds more spice and atmosphere.

Standout Track: Den Store Krig