Extreme or melodic metal fan, this is awesome! - 100%

Spectrum, November 27th, 2004

I bought this album for only four euros at EMP.de, and let me be perfectly clear on this: And the Hordes Stood as One is FAR too good to go for 4 euros!

ATHSAO is a live album, and the only AR album I have so far. The style of Ancient Rites is sort of hard to describe. It's rooted in black metal, but very epic and melodic and featuring plenty of clean, melodic vocals. Lead singer Gunther Theys has a quite special vocal style, but he grew on me after a few listens.

So, what's best about the album? Well, pretty much everything. The songs are masterfully written. The vocals are great and singalongable. The unclean vocals and blastbeats provide some awesome brutal parts, while the melodic lead guitar and keyboards provide some excellent soft parts.

But overall, Ancient Rites' performance on the album is just superb. Possibly the most energetic, enthusiastic live album I have heard. The production is great. Very clean, with all instruments coming through very clearly and nothing being drowned out. (The guitar sound could be heavier, but this is not a significant problem.)

Which details are bad about the album? None. Of course, it would be great if it was a double CD instead of a single, but 78 minutes is not a length you can complain about.

The best song on ATHSAO IMO is probably Exile. Other highlights are Victory or Valhalla, Aris and Mother Europe. But every song is great.

Overall an awesome album. I'll rate it 100% and advise everyone to check it out. Whether you are a fan of melodic metal or extreme metal, And the Hordes Stood as One just has it all.

1. The Return (3:12) - 9/10