More songs for the Apocalypse - 95%

DomDomMCMG, November 15th, 2012

If I were to sum this up in one sentence I would say "It's another Anaal Nathrakh album". At this point you already know what to expect. Punishing dissonant blackened grindcore. Anaal Nathrakh have never delivered anything less, and truly they have delivered here. This album to me is a mix of old school "Codex Necro" Nathrakh right up to the newer "Constellation"/"Passion" era stuff.

Dave Hunt is still one of the best vocalists in extreme metal, switching between throat shredding black metal shrieks, guttural gurgles and grunts and melodic clean singing at the drop of a hat. Such a range is unparalleled and Hunt makes sure to show exactly what he can do on this album, showing off his talents most effectively on closer "A Metaphor For The Dead". He still doesn't publish his lyrics and most of them are as difficult to decipher as ever, but from the song titles you can tell it's still the same misanthropic themes as usual.

Mick Kenney, the sole instrumentalist, performs exactly what you've come to expect and then some. Powerful and memorable tremolo riffs, insanely fast blast beats and melodic leads in a few places. "In Coelo Quies, Tout Finis Ici Bas" contains a solo which I believe was performed by someone in Bleeding Through, a band i'll admit to not liking very much. An odd guest spot for this kind of album, perhaps, but it was a good choice because the solo fits into the song perfectly and makes it a highlight of the album. The band also make a brief return to their industrial roots on a few songs with Berzerker-esque drums found on "Todos Somos Humanos".

If you're already a fan then you should enjoy this album as much as I do. Anaal Nathrakh are as misanthropic, apocalyptic and enjoyable as ever. This comfortably fits into my top albums of the year and is even giving "In the Constellation..." a run for its money for the title of "Best Anaal Nathrakh Album". If you're not already familiar with this band and are reading this review quite by chance, then maybe this album will be your entry point into becoming a fan of one of the finest bands in extreme metal.

Highlights: The Blood Dimmed Tide, A Metaphor For The Dead, You Can't Save Me So Stop Fucking Trying, In Coelo Quies, Tout Fini Ici Bas, Todos Somos Humanos