Awsomeness beyond fuck! - 100%

dartz123, November 29th, 2012

This album is one of the main reasons I think this band embodies true musicianship and pure genius. This is aggressive black metal with some minor forms of grindcore that will simply rape any black metal band; there are many reasons to justify the complete awsomeness of this album and I want to them down for you. This album contains 9 tracks that just obliderates any mainstream listeners ability to try and distiguish music from earthquake when this is what this album sounds like, the soundtrack to the apocalypse.

First, the sound quality on this album is a total thumbs up. I could hear everything more than good enough. Given the fact that most black metal bands sound quality is scratchy and more "raw," this albums quality is both raw with good sound quality.

Second, the vocals of V.I.T.R.I.O.L. is what I call "skull-fuck." It's original as hell, and will probably leave a mallcore kid running to his mommy! The guest vocalist from Mayhem, Attila Csihar on "Regression to the Mean" was beyond awsome a pure rape of the mind. I loved the track "Between Shit and Piss We Are Born" because it is simply the truth and it pulls no punches to tickling ears especially on what I thought was the climax - "you insignificant fuck!"

Third, the drumming was purely blastbeat programmed. I would recommend that any good drummer not try this, never mind mediocre drummers, this drumming will make you drum your arms into confuckulation!

Fourth, the guitar solos and riffs fit perfectly into the timing and lyrics of the songs. It was more blackened speed metal/ grindcore orientated. This however still allows the album to engulf the metal fan into a pit of the second Hades!

Fifth, the lyrics on here really excited me more and almost gave me a metal-gasm to the extent that I'd cum some black form of ectoplasm.

Well simply buy this album if you want good black metal! For any fan of good old black metal done right!

A Clone of "Domine Non Es Dignus" - 56%

PaganWinter_44, July 9th, 2007

Anaal Nathrakh is known for their brutality in their music, and they are justly recognized for that aspect. The Codex Necro was an onslaught of rage without any concept. Domine Non Es Dignus was a small improvement when they introduced small guitar solos and clean vocal parts. Now, with the release of Eschaton, they haven't done anything new.

This album starts off very well. The first song warms up slowly and plow through much like their older material. It is brutal, fast, and unrelenting. Theprogrammed drums blast through like there's no tomorrow. The guitars drive the riffs with all the energy that someone would expect in an album like this. The vocals scream and growl with just as much brutality as the music itself. The second song starts with riffs that you can tell are leading up to something. You'll know what it is leading up to when it comes. There's a very catchy and very energizing clean vocal part in the chorus. After the chorus is done, the song continues driving. This album follows this basic formula. Imust say, if it weren't for the clean vocal parts and occasional guitar solos, I would've tried to get my money back.

I like this style of music, and I like this band a lot. Anaal Nathrakh was one of the very first underground metal bands I experienced. I will always have this deep amount of respect for them. However, I cannot listen to a whole album without it becoming nothing but background noise. That is exactly what this album does. The first few songs are amazing because your attention span is higher at the beginning. Half-way through the album, you're beginning to wonder if all the songs are the same.

The clean vocals and guitar solos make this album a lot more enjoyable than the screamfest that was The Codex Necro. Sadly though, that is the only thing. If this is your first experience with Anaal Nathrakh, then I reccomend it. However, if you have been into this band for awhile like I have, then you will be disappointed. The purpose of making a new album is to have something...uh new. There is not a difference between this album and Domine Non Es Dignus. Buy it if you're a first-timer; download it if you're a longtime fan.

The soundtrack to armageddon? - 96%

Sexy_undertaker, June 3rd, 2007

21st December 2012. That is when the world, or a prominant era shall end. It is also the concept this album is based around.

Anaal Nathrakh have a reputation for being one of the extreme black metal acts in existence at the moment. 'The Codex Necro' kicked off this legacy; a noisy, violent bastard spawn of two very pissed off people; followed up by the'When Fire Rains down...' EP which showed a sign of progression in sound, still extremely violent but somewhat 'cleaner' production. This led quite nicely onto 'Domine Non Es Dignus', which even had (shock horror) the inclusion of clean singing on various tracks, including the awesome songs 'do not speak' and 'this cannot be the end'. People were shocked! Cleaner (relatively that is) production, more clarity and singing! What next?

Well...this is it, in my opinion their best album. The production has been hurled back into the realms of 'The Codex Necro' bringing back the wall of noise, apocalypse-baiting sound that brought Nathrakh their well deserved praise. This, combined with the musical progressions made in 'Domine...' mean this is one hell of an album! You press play and are thrown into a frenzy of chainsaw guitars, blast beat drums and the most gloriously hideous vocals I have ever had the pleasure of having my ears raped by. The songs are all incredible and there is not one that even borders on mediocre, though perhaps the oddest song on the album is the album closer: 'Regression to the mean' (which is a swaggering, almost industrial sounding piece that features Attila Csihar). The lengths vary from between just under 3 minutes up to about 5 minutes but you won't really notice this, you'll be too destracted by the intensity of the noise...you may even feel it neccessary to duck occaisionally to avoid having your head blasted off!

One of the main highlights of this album is definately the inclusion of singing and the melodious shifts, which can be found on most tracks (a good example would be 'Time Wave Zero'). Often, it comes as a shock and you may find yourself questioning who you are actually listening to, but any such notions are brought right back to earth with a crash as soon as they are raised, as the production remains appropriately dirty to remind you who exactly it is...like someone sticking various pointed objects into your body to remind you that you are talking to them.

This album is no less than incredible...and sounds like none other; something Anaal Nathrakh are no doubt priding themselves on. This is definately one album that HAS to be in the collection of any fan of extreme metal.

The soundtrack to armageddon? Listen to this and you'll believe that it's already here.

Delicious hate and piss - 90%

Mortivore, January 12th, 2007

Is normal black metal too merry for you? Do you laugh at the childishness of modern DM? Do you like grindcore but not the bad humor it's often related to? Then fear not, because the Thrakh is here again!

Anaal Nathrakh has become quite a big name in the BM underground, and I can see now that it was for a reason. They're well-known for making some of the most hateful music ever designed, but Eschaton is even more. You don't 'write' music like this, you vomit it, and that's just what this British duo does! Listening to this album on headphones actually gives you a sick and claustrophobic feeling because of the tons of hate it spits into your ears.

The first song 'Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes' (meaning War of All Against All) is good, but actually quite mediocre compared to the rest. It's in the style we already knew from the Thrakh - a well-produced aural black/grind assault with the hateful vomiting of singer V.I.T.R.I.O.L. It gets really interesting on song two, 'Between Shit and Piss we are Born'. Here, V.I.T.R.I.O.L.'s clean vocals show up - they're not really good or beautiful, but they provide a sick atmosphere and some sort of calm between the storm. Other highlights include 'Destroying Angel', the strangely named 'The Yellow King' and 'The Necrogeddon'. It doesn't offer many new things, but Anaal Nathrakh is unique enough to sound good anyway. However, last track 'Regression to the Mean' is a revolutionary piece of 'hateful industrial black' featuring a catchy(!) beat and atmospheric warped vocals, making itself the absolute masterpiece of Anaal Nathrakh.

Altogether this is a very strong album with atmosphere, great production and instrumental skills. But you can love it or hate it, and I know what the masses are gonna choose.

Solid Release - 85%

Bezerko, December 27th, 2006

Listening to this album straight after "The Codex Necro" shows the progression that has been made by Anaal Nathrakh. There are more death/grind influences as well as melodic vocals.

The album opens with Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes. This song is typical Anaal Nathrakh, heavy as hell with V.I.T.R.I.O.L screaming his guts out. What follows next is a the progression mentioned earlier. Between Shit And Piss We Are Born contains a melodic chorus. This is not just the stupid melodic bull shit we get way to often though. The melody is very epic in style and works very well with Irrumator's instrumental ablilities.

The album progresses well with a number of great songs including two more songs with the melodic vocals (Timewave Zero and When The Lion Devours Both Dragon And Child) as well as more traditional Anaal Nathrakh songs. The Necrogedden is one of Anaal Nathrakh's older songs rerecorded for this album and thus is very similar to the songs of their debut release (A.K.A black/grind mayhem). The final song, Regression To The Mean features Atilla Csihar of Mayhem and is almost comical. The cries of regression to the mean sound wierd and just plain funny, yet undeniably catchy and closes well. Unfortunately I don't think this should've happened and Anaal Nathrakh should stick with V.I.T.R.I.O.L's brilliant screams and growls.

Interestingly there are no keyboards in Anaal Nathrakh. The keyboard sounding parts are actually Mick Kenney layering on a third, very epic guitar sound. The drum machine pounds away as usual with an interesting amount of variety. V.I.T.R.I.O.L is currently my favourite vocalist-his screams are just what metal needs to keep it new and refreshing.

What prevents this album from getting a perfect score is incosistency. While most of the album is absolutely awesome (or necro as the band would put it), there are a number of gaping holes in the album, namely When The Lion Devours Both Dragon And Child. The guest apearances aren't superb either. Not the best Anaal Nathrakh material, I'll leave that to The Codex Necro, but an extremely solid and gratifying release

Amazing. Could be Anaal's Best. - 94%

CloroX, October 31st, 2006

As being a huge Anaal Nathrakh fan, I was very excited to hear of a new full length release. I was somewhat worried that they would change their style for the worst, but my doubts couldn’t have been more wrong. Anaal Nahrakh’s newest release, Eschaton maintains and reinforces Anaal Nathrakh’s reputation of extreme musical brutality, but also shows more talented song writing and ear catching melodic solos, and riffing. The album is absolutely amazing for the evolution that Anaal Nathrakh has gone through from combining the Codex Necro’s brutality and Domine Non Es Dignus’s melody and with a newly added death metal type sound to some of the tracks.

Anaal Nathrakh has done it again with the release of Eschaton, which I consider now one of my favorite albums. Anaal Nathrakh fans will sure to be pleased and fans of a brutal and fast, black metal sound will be thrilled by this release. Eschaton grabs you by the ears and doesn’t let go until the CD has ended. Every track hits hard, fast, and amazingly catchy. Recommended tracks for skeptics would be: The Yellow King, The Destroying Angel, and When the Lion Devours Both Dragon and Child. Fans of the “Total Fucking Necro” compilation will be pleased, as they have re-mastered “The Necrogeddon” which brings a smile to my face every time I hear it.

I purchased my copy of Eschaton online the day it was released, and I recommend everyone that is a fan of the genre to buy it also, if you haven’t already.

A more mature Anaal...definitely an improvement! - 84%

Spawnhorde, October 27th, 2006

In my opinion, this is the most mature AN release todate. The band is, of course, in full force, per usual, but there exists somewhat of a different feeling here. Compared to 2004's Domine Non Es Dignus, this includes more catchy riffs and structures, but also contains more pure brutality in the vein of their very early works. There are plenty of moments of grinding, fast guitars, and also a great deal of blastbeat material. However, the level of emotion is a bit higher here, there seems to be more conviction in the playing and I feel as if this is the niche they should probably stay in for the rest of their career.

Often the songs will break into slight, subtle epic melodies and/or fast, blazing solos and capture attention that way. At other times, the vocals seem to be the main attention-getter, jn all their vitriolic (no pun intended) glory. For instance, "The Yellow King" contains a brilliant harmonized guitar part along with the churning chords present in most Anaal material to date. This is a great change up and only solidifies their position in the metal world as an evolved band, coming from the depths of a somewhat limited scope of black metal to a very worthwhile, demanding listen with plenty of substance other than being loud, fast, and heavy.

The Face-Shredding Necro Hell is back. - 93%

mankvill, October 27th, 2006

Anaal Nathrakh’s fourth major release has been met with a lot of anticipation. The first 3 were undoubtedly some of the hardest, fastest, and most hellish audial noises ever recorded. With guest vocals from legendary vocalist Attila Csihar of Mayhem, and guitar from Napalm Death’s Shane Embury, “Eschaton” proves that true necrosity can be attained in music. And it’s a hell of a ride.

Clocking in at just over 35 minutes, “Eschaton” grabs the listener from the opening track, “Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes” and whirls them on a sinfully enjoyable hell ride. One of the main issues of concern with longtime fans, were the presence of clear vocals in the song “When The Lion Devours Both Dragon And Child”, which was released as a teaser. But the thing is, the clear vocals definitely work. It’s like the eye of the storm passing overhead, with a moment of clarity, before the onslaught of terror begins again.

The guitars, all done by Irrumator (Mick Kenney) are some of the best I’ve heard. The drumming is insanely fast, just as it has been on past releases. The guitar work is also phenomenal. Guitar solos pepper the songs, and they couldn’t be more face-shreddingly necro. All the instruments are tied together through the unbelievable vocal work of V.I.T.R.I.O.L. (Dave Hunt) He should be inducted into a metal hall of fame for having the most terrifying, guttural, blasphemous vocals ever put down on tape. I often find myself wondering if he must brand himself with a hot iron to reach the levels of hatred he conveys in his vocal Armageddon.

Overall, Eschaton is one of Anaal Nathrakh’s best albums, if not the best. If you loved the raw, necro metal feel of “The Codex Necro”, then “Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes”, “The Destroying Angel” and “The Yellow King” will make you rip off your face from extreme terror. If you liked the epic vocals and the technicality from “Domine Non Es Dignus”, then tracks like “When The Lion Devours Both Dragon And Child”, “Between Shit And Piss We Are Born” and “Timewave Zero” are for you, although they are definitely more necro. There’s also a remake of “Necrogeddon” from the “Total Fucking Necro” EP for the fans. Definitely pick this up as fast as you can, and witness the most extreme music to hit Earth since who knows when.

Coming straight at you at breakneck speed. - 87%

Blood_and_Vitriol, October 24th, 2006

The first thing to be said is that V.I.T.R.I.O.L and Irrumator offer no apologies with this record. This is the musical equivalent of getting your head blown off with a shotgun.

The first thing to be noticed is that the first song alone of Eschaton has more lyrics than most of Anaal Nathrakh's previous albums, however Eschaton is cold and unforgiving and contains some of Anaal Nathrakh's most brilliant work since their breakthrough with The Codex Necro.

Irrumator has done it again with crushing guitar-riffs that at times sound like a million buzzsaws and a million chainsaws screaming and screetching out of control. The music creates the perfect setting for V.I.T.R.I.O.L's inhuman vocals which are as horrendous [meant in a good way] as ever. Just hearing him makes you feel like you're about to cough up your vocal chords.

Eschaton also has some incredible synth work, with all sorts of computer generated sounds that add to the unrelenting assault that has become the new and improved Anaal Nathrakh.

Another new element that Irrumator has introduced to the music is guitar solos, which were somewhere between scarce and nonexistant on all the previous albums. Despite the doubts of many they have blended very well into Anaal Nathrakh's blistering speed. The solos are kept short and this is the key to their total submersion into the over-all sound of the music; Any longer and they just would not have worked.

It is extremely hard to pick a favourite track from the album, because the whole album is absolutely brilliant. There is however one track which stands out because of it's strange uniqueness: "Regression to the Mean". Something about the way the synth is incorporated into the song really stands out to me... It sounds like V.I.T.R.I.O.L and Irrumator are escaping an asylum while on fire with the sirens and alarms sounding in the background.

This album is one that is best enjoyed with the volume cranked up all the way, and with some anger inside to be released. Anaal Nathrakh literally sound like a factory of pain, with all sorts of machines grinding and crushing the listener with every note and every word.

Final Verdict: