Total Chick Magnet - 91%

eViLbOrIs, October 16th, 2007

First off, because it is obviously the most important thing there is to be said about the new Amorphis: The cover art gets babes. Yes it does. I was stopped twice in the store by curious babe-a-licious passerby who liked the shiny and pretty digipack cover and wanted to see more. Neither encounter went anywhere, but I knew I had something special on my hands, before I even had a chance to pay for it. The most chick-magnet metal cover since uh...that Man o' War one, with the dudes all loin-clothed out...yeah, all, like, zillion of 'em.
But is the promising outer shell of beauty as sexy on the inside as 'tis on the outside? You bet your sweet bippies it is. Silent Water picks up somewhere in betwixt where Elegy left off and Eclipse began. I have nothing against Amorphis's middle-chapter, but by all means, this is the album that should have come between the two aforementioned. It's got all the folk ethnicity of Elegy (with none of the repetition) and most of the heaviness found on Eclipse, all mushed together into one beautiful spicy metal meatball. Yummy.
It only takes a few seconds before Tomi Joutsen lets you know that his brutal (for Amorphis, anway) vocals on Eclipse were no fluke. He roars and he growls, he croons and he soars. And although he is track by track getting more and more remniscent of his predecessor, he is by far the superior of the Amorphis vocalists.
Anyone who missed the overt funky folk of recent Amorphis, which was absent on a good deal of Eclipse (usually for good reasons), well, fear not...It's back, in fuller force than it's ever been. It's amazing how these dudes manage to make almost dancy electronic folk beats sound so quaint and earthy. That's probably the greatest testament to Amorphis', a band whose name is as appropo as band names get, song writing talents. They combine the ancient with the modern while allowing neither to deteriorate or become water down. If anything, the myriad styles complement each other and bring out rich musical colors which would perhaps be otherwise dull and unnoticeable.
One more thing that deserves a respectful mention is how Amorphis' lyrics have grown with each release. Grammatical blunders and botched idioms have become increasingly less present throughout the bands' career, to the point where they are virtually non-existent at this point. It's nice to see a group of dudes who are obviously not the keenest English speakers at least make the effort to get the language they sing in correct. Much appreciation and respect, dudes.