OMFG - 85%

OzzyApu, May 18th, 2009

When Koskinen left Amorphis, people were floored. Personally, I like Koivusaari better, but Pasi had the cleans which really formed the band we know today. However, who could they get to replace? Fuck that, they knew very well right after, and they knew he’d slit our throats the minute we heard this. This single was released a month prior to the album coming out, which isn’t the best timing because the internet allows albums to be leaked even months in advance. While Far From The Sun lacked production values, Amorphis got back up and hit it with the best. Everything is alive and well here, with no serious shit-flinging to even the bass like I usually give.

Nonetheless, these two songs are awesome. “House Of Sleep” is the lead single – a somber piece with an emotional melody not seen since Am Universum, crisp production, juicier riffs, and one of the most soulful voices I’ve heard this side of metal. Joutsen’s voice is powerful, bellowing, and more isn’t as nasal as Koskinen (more manly, if you want to put it that way). Where Koskinen sounded like a child, Joutsen sounds like a real man, and his range between his clean and growls are tremendous. You don’t hear any growling on this single, but you will on the full album. The chorus is catchy, the epicness of the driving melody begs to be in the history books, and the sensation is huge. The keyboard bridge sounds so damn grand and captivating that you can’t help but to purchase this just to thank the band.

“Stone Woman” is the second song that isn’t as striking as “House Of Sleep,” but it’s a damn good track with more of a enthralling verse section than a chorus. The vocals are more soothing here, with the leads sounding cooler and in control. Esa’s solo shows a lot more enthusiasm, which leads me to believe that the band feels as though they’ve finally found their sound.

In the end, this is a great teaser for the upcoming album. Don’t stop here, though, go check out the real deal. You won’t be disappointed at all!