Ascension - 78%

OzzyApu, May 18th, 2009

Released nearly two months before Tuonela, this single serves as a great teaser into the now comfortable Amorphis. The production is loads clearer and richer than Elegy, the band is now settled enough to formulate their own sound, and in the end we get some spicy entertainment.

“Divinity” would go on to have a eye-pleasing music video, with Koskinen displaying an almost boy-like vocal performance accompanied by a soaring melodic backdrop. Koivusaari excels here with his the rhythm riff, which is addicting and makes me thirsty for water. It becomes the most epic thing possible next to a future song of theirs, “Alone,” at 3:35 when the solo / outro kicks in and ascends the song to Heaven. It’s so enthralling even Atheist thought about rewriting “Enthralled In Essence” (just kidding, Atheist rule).

“Northern Lights” hits us with a more Black Sabbath-influenced performance, with Koskinen showing off some toughguy growls that I’m not too big a fan of. The riff is complete Iommi worship, which isn’t a bad thing, especially when the drum rhythm pushes us deeper and deeper into the fight. Its an ok track in the end, but nothing too special, which is odd because most of Tuonela would turn out positive.

Weird, just check out the main album and revel in its beauty!