Catchier than it is heavy. - 80%

Andromeda_Unchained, November 28th, 2011

Twlight of the Thunder God had the arduous task of having to follow up Amon Amarth's finest hour in With Oden On Our Side. Having heard the title track prior to the albums release I was stoked. An undeniably quality tune, with a classic metal feel interspersed with Amon Amarth's signature melodic death metal. Great guitar lines, and quality riffs I certainly felt positive about the album.

Upon hearing the finished product the feeling of positivity I had stuck around, which was pleasing. Which is also what I think can be said about the whole album, a pleasing effort. Whilst this can't match the heights of With Oden On Our Side or even the likes of The Crusher this album is a whole load more enjoyable than the ropey middle area of their career.

Opening up with the aforementioned title track, Amon Amarth take us on a journey through raging seas, and bloodied battle grounds. The album has a noticeably rounder sound to it, whilst With Oden On Our Side had a loud and heavy sound Twilight of the Thunder God has more in common production-wise with The Crusher. The music contained is typical of Amon Amarth, although the riffs sacrifice some of the heaviness from the previous release in favor of catchier numbers. This album would certainly serve as a good introduction to the band.

As for standout tracks the title track is pretty damn bad-ass, and I remember bounding with excitement when I first heard it. "Free Will Sacrifice" has some quality grooving to it, and a catchy riff that you can happily hum along to. "Where is Your God" has some heavy riffs, but I've found it to be fairly passable over repeated listens. "Varyags Of Miklagaard" is one of the more melodic numbers on the album, and is certainly one of the finer tracks here. "Tattered Banners and Bloody Flags" is along with the title track and maybe "Live For The Kill" (that fucking riff, man) the best of the bunch here. All of which showcase Amon Amarth ala 2008, with their formula and sound firmly cemented.

Overall Twilight of the Thunder God is a worthy addition to the Amon Amarth back catalogue, but just can't hold a flame to the sheer excitement of With Oden On Our Side. I could never quite understand why this album received such ridiculous levels of fellation. This is Amon Amarth doing what Amon Amarth does, with a slight air of distillation and more focus on being catchy than heavy.