It's hungry, but far from satisfying. - 44%

hells_unicorn, August 2nd, 2011

Amaranthe is a band that I just sort of stumbled upon while browsing random Swedish acts on the internet, so I elected to download this rather ambiguously titled song off of I-tunes to see what all the advertising hype is about with these guys. Suffice to say, I got a rather hard 5 knuckles to the face of industrial pop trappings as an answer and my head is still spinning. I can’t quite fault the band for wanting to take the lighter route given their obvious leanings towards the stereotypical female fronted power metal cliché, but the melodeath tag does not fit at all, unless we go by the obvious influences of “Soundtrack To Your Escape”.

If this is any indication of how the bulk of this band’s material sounds, I think it is safe to say that we’ve discovered power metal’s answer to Katy Perry, and not in a good way. While there are rapid paced chugs and grooves laced on this metallically flavored piece of bubblegum, they do little else than provide a hint of speed in what is otherwise the most safe and predictable set of implied chords and melodies I’ve heard of. This is hypnotically repetitive keyboard and vocal lines sped up to simulate progression and motion, when little of either is occurring. Not to mention the male vocals on here are utterly thin and lack any real punch to speak of.

Can’t really say that I approve of this trend in melodeath of late, but this is par for the course for a good number of acts following the release of “Reroute To Remain”. Some pull this sound off to an extent, but this really doesn’t do much apart from go through the motions of being a metal song, and then proceed to bury it under a heavy dose of synthesizer lines. The whole thing just sounds contrived and utterly mechanical, and fails to inspire any level of lasting excitement even as a misguided attempt at straddling synth pop with metal.