An improvement from his last release - 90%

Ingeld1066, April 21st, 2011

While I enjoyed the album 'Souvenirs d'un autre monde' overall, I found that it often lacked variation both melodically and stylistically. This album, however, seems reincorporate black metal into the mix fairly effectively, as well as allowing for greater variation in style on each track.

Overall, I would rank this album as one of the most impressive metal albums of 2010. As a fan of shoegaze, black metal, and post-metal/post-rock, I really appreciate how masterfully Neige is able to fuze all three of these genres throughout this album. He is able to take the feelings of isolation often associated with black metal, the introspection associated with post-rock/metal, and the uplifting feel of shoegaze and combine the three to create an album that is beautiful and unique. Many metalheads will find this album to be too soft for their tastes, and I would advise those who want to listen to metal that is aggressive and heavy not to listen to this, you probably won't enjoy it if that's the case.

For the most part, Neige favors a mellow and introspective approach on this album (similar to that of other releases), occasionally employing black metal shrieks to reflect the mood of the song, which he uses effectively for the most part. Every song is filled with emotional vocals and instrumentals, yet the album succeeds in that the finished product sounds neither depressing nor excessively uplifting. The highlights of the album are probably the first two tracks, which do the best job of mixing genres and moods and are also the two most emotional songs on the album (at least in my opinion).

However, as impressed with this album as I was when I first heard it, there are a couple of shortcomings as well, which need to be addressed. First, the track 'Abysses' shouldn't even be on the album. For an album with six songs, having one of them be ambient noise that lasts for 1 minute and 30 seconds seems to be cheating fans out of their money a bit. I probably would have been happier if he decided not to release that song with the album. Also, as it is with every album, some melodies on this are much more memorable than others. There are a couple of spots on this album, notably on the last track, where although the music is quite beautiful, the same quiet, introspective melodies lag on for unprecedented amounts of time, often making the listener feel like falling asleep. However, despite a couple small flaws, Neige surpasses all of his previous work on this album, creating a solid release which I will probably still enjoying occasionally listening to five years from now.