Not disastrous but not that great either - 63%

CHRISTI_NS_ANITY8, April 23rd, 2009

It’s always strange the fact of meeting a thrash metal band from lands and countries that were not that famous for this genre. Airdash played thrash in a country, Finland, which was far more “famous” for the death metal bands at the time. Yes, the bands playing extreme metal were quite numerous even if they only released few demo tapes before disappearing, leaving us few pieces for avid collectors. However, the first album I bought for Airdash was the last one in their discography, Both Ends of the Path. It was a quite lame album and surely it didn’t force me to listen to the other opuses, but somehow I managed to get into the older stuff and I think this was worth because they are not bad at all.

Airdash before putting out that weird, progressive album called Both Ends of the Path, was a quite simple thrash metal act. Hospital Hallucinations Take One is the second effort in their discography and here we cannot say that bands like Anthrax and Metallica were not used as a sample. The influences are strong even if the style is not extremely weak or dull. “If” is the track that opens the album with its tempo changes and the hint of groove. The vocals are not screamed and probably this is the most important point of comparison with Anthrax. The riffs are not devastating and often they remain quite melodic and dynamic, pointing also on good duets and tapping solos.

The production is clear, especially if we consider the riffs and the snare drums. The bass also is pounding in the background with its metallic march. “Youth Hostel” is a bit more violent for few riffs even if the groove always counts a lot and the tempo is often quite mid-paced and linear, without too many fast overtures. “Jungle Jim” is a bit more various for the dark introduction but not that much if we count the slow progression this song has. The riffs are not that slow but the tempo yes and there are not too many variations. This does not contribute to maintain the listener’s attention. “Decent Citizen” features a bit more dynamic riffs even if the speed doesn’t want to increase and this is becoming a bit risky.

“Vengeance through Violence” features few up tempo sections and even the riffs are more pissed off. The gang choruses add nastiness to the sound and this is better. However, don’t expect too many variations… “Trigger Happy” takes a lot of its style from the …And Justice for All album and this is good for the variety of the riffs that however often is not enough to be catch. The refrain is a bit more present and there are even few restarts on up tempo. “Forbidden Thoughts” despite the slow riffs has remarkable fast sections to break a bit the monotony that was taking the dominion over this album. The good thing about this song is the lead guitar work that sporadically appears to give that dark touch.

“Sleepwalk” has a good melodic intro with obscure vibes and lots of solos and this can be easily labelled as the most various track here. I think that the things are getting better here because the level of the songwriting has improved since the middle part of the album. This is also the last track of the album, an album highly impersonal but somehow easy and not that bad. The groove here reigns supreme but it’s not a terrible album. By the way, I wouldn’t recommend it to a fast thrash metal fan.