Another of black metal's suicides - 7%

cinedracusio, August 7th, 2007

The first excrement, for those uninitiated, is Ad Hominem, a bizarrely overapreciated black metal act, hailing from the bowels of France (French Kaiser? Some people need to check their boots to get their brains back).

The first track is a cover of Sodom's Nuclear Winter, probably one of the most well-known tracks of the German legends. The Kaiser renders the piece unspectacular by adding his "industrial" brand of narrow-minded mixer-style beats. The original riff is played in a black metal tremolo register, and it is the only aspect worth mentioning (not VERY worth). The shrieks are genre-defining, in order to highlight the act's kvlt correctness...
The second track, And Sperm Covers Your Kingdom Over, ignoring its asinine statement, is a decent piece, containing several fine riff changes, along with the monochromatic drum patterns (albeit more varied than usually) and croaking vocals that we all know and love. The shining moment of this split.
The third track is the cover of the infamous Buried By Time And Dust from Mayhem's De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas. 1349 covered this song too. Covering a song only by repeating it seems to be a fashionable option for the Kaiser. We have no different melodies, but we are invited to feast on some electronic effects and "gloom" that are added to the original song. The funny shit is that the man gets nowhere as effective as Csihar, a much better (lest we forget "more original") vocalist.

The beginning of Cantus Bestiae's side, The Cult Of Sterility, makes Moonblood's poorest recordings blush. Honestly, this recording is an abomination. However, this is not the peak of the mountain: the unparalleled sound quality meets an unparalleled riff style. Unparalleled in mediocrity, I mean. I would have been glad to praise this, since ex-members of Cantus Bestiae are present members of Svest, but everything is so buried and unmemorable that all three songs equal null. Vocals equal null, drumming equals null, riffs equal null, and the remnants of an "atmosphere" are wasted without mercy. I wonder who would be that ambitious or druggy to put out a track-by-track review for this side of the split.

This split is, by far, horrendous. By taking a closer look, listen or sniff, you will feel it in its entire toxic glory. Shame on both bands.