Terrible - 10%

Zodijackyl, September 24th, 2011

Death From The Forest - it sounds like a name associated with black metal, I'd go as far as calling it a pretty cool title. The band may have even gone for the absurd approach, as their name suggests, and recorded it in a forest, though it sounds more like a basement. You're probably better off just reading the album's title, the music really isn't worth listening to, even if you're into old lo-fi black metal demos.

There is a decent riff or two on here, such as the intro to "Last Breath" where the guitar builds a bit of atmosphere. For a black metal demo released in 1993, it is quite surprising the the drums are fairly audible, I can hear the kick, snare and cymbals, and the rough tone of them doesn't detract from the recording at all. That's all the good I have to say about the album.

The guitar tone sounds like a heavily clipped synthesizer, maybe a hammond organ played through a ripped speaker into a pinhole microphone. Despite excessive clipping on the guitars, they aren't high in the mix. I suppose the mix is alright, I can hear everything most of the time, but nearly every tone on the album is unpleasant. The vocals are a mix of mediocre, droning singing that sounds like it is heard through a paper bag, and growls/snarls/shouts that sound like I usually hear from joke bands that sound as much like a bird squawking as a screaming human. This is an entirely amateur effort with none of the charm that the individual elements brought to the more notable bands of the style and time.

Terrible - 10%

Fifth_Figure, December 23rd, 2004

Absurd, a band known more for the murder of a classmate, have actually released material that has impressed me. However, this demo (if you can call it that) is just utterly terrible.

Keep in mind that I usually don't care much about production quality. Bands in The Black Legions can pull it off very well and make the music sound decent. However, Absurd can't. The attempt here at "tr00 kvlt n3kr0 raw" production was indeed raw, but fails in all other areas. The band started to form their own sound, a mixture of punk and black metal, on this demo. Don't waste your time listening to this shit, especially with the terrible song titles.

Absurd have, as I said, released some excellent material. For a first-time listener, try the Thuringian Pagan Madness tape. It's a shame that none of the original members of Absurd are in the band today.