What is this supposed to be? - 19%

Aquifel, June 2nd, 2004

I believe Euronymus said that "Abruptum ist the essence of pure black evil". Well I believe he was drunk at that time. Okay, I can only review this album from Abruptum, maybe the other albums are really dark, atmospheric and evil, but I won't find out that soon.

The first track "De profundis Mors vas Cousumet" sure has something. Not in the sense of common music. There is no real songstructure, but somehow this is dark and atmospheric. Not that evil and disturbing as Euronymus' words describe Abruptum, but quite good. And the rest of this MCD? Crap, simple crap. The second track Dodsapparaten is just noise. Nothing like a song structure, no real riffs, no real drumming, just noisy. It sounds as if you CD-player or PC is broken. And this goes over 8 minutes. This is not evil and not dark, this is just annoying, as this is half of the CD's playtime and you payed money for it. The last track is at least not annoying. But something like atmospheric or the essence of evil. No, not really.

The reputation of being the essence of pure, black evil seems to be a lot of nonsense, if one is referring to this MCD. Only the titletrack has some quality. But a terrible second track and a insignificant third track decrease the points I give this MCD not only a bit.

The first track would get about 75%, but the rest is total shit.