Are you guys high? - 15%

Blarglepop, September 16th, 2007

You've probably heard of Aborym. Nattefrost once called them a "black metal mafia," they now have ex-Emperor skinpounder/gaystabber Faust in their ranks, and they're clawing their way into relevance as one of the most unique and innovative black metal acts in a great while. Or so you've probably heard. Don't let anyone try to tell you how unique OR innovative Aborym is. Generator may be their most musically accomplished work to date (not that that's hard), but only because it leaches off the musical constructs it's exposed to in the process of bathing in black metal cliches. The album starts with a minute long choral drone. Hey, Aborym? I like it when filler doesn't litter my albums. Just thought I should let you know. Suddenly a spawling tremolo line kicks in under a sample of a Charles Manson rant, the rest of the song typical, ultra-polished new-wave black metal occasionally meandering in industrial beats. Could this be any more marketed to would-be Columbine kids? How is this innovative?

Generator's main selling point is that it's [supposedly] a clean fusion of back metal and electronics, at which the earlier releases were so inept they clearly didn't aspire to be much past "fun" kvlt novelty. Don't buy it, kids. Past their baseless pretention, you can still see the bloody stitches holding all this shit together. "A Dog-Eat-Dog World" is a straight-up TECHNO song, whilst the following track "Ruinrama Kolossal S.P.Q.R." (such cute song titles!) is a plodding, Godflesh-derived apocalyptic industrial stomp, the only thing differentiating it from the countless other similar musical efforts being some contrived pitch harmonic flourishes in the main riff. Squeak.

Aborym wanks into the void for a while longer, until things suddenly begin picking up, if only for a moment. "Suffer Catalyst" begins promising, with a relatively ass-kicking harmonized thrash riff, but inevitably degenerates into some boring tremolo riffs and air-raid siren samples. This is APOCALYPTIC, remember? To be fair, this album does arouse visions of smoking towers and riots, which is a good thing, because if the end of the world means no more music this horrible, I'm all for it. "Between The Devil and the Deep Blue Sea" is made of the same stuff I've been describing up until this point, until some loading gun and footstep samples prior to the rave section at the end. At this point, the vocalist begins heaving out in what could be called clean vocals, "no more heart, no more soul... I am already dead... No hope for salvation... BLEEAAARRGHHH..." Back into Columbine territory already, guys? Although this is a terrible song, I'm sure it will be the soundtrack to a lot of alienated kids' lives in high school, not unlike Rammstein or Mudvayne. A future history lesson when people begin studying goth/emo culture, perhaps.

"Man Bites God" is a rather well known song, not because it's good, but because it features Aborym's old vocalist and infamous voice-whore Attila. He sounds... As Hungarian as ever, I guess. A hell of a lot better than the new guy, whose name I won't even look up on this site for this review, because his name doesn't deserve to be known. He was Mysticum's old singer, and he still sucks. His black metal vocals are more or less a lifeless, mediocre croak, and while that may seem appropriate for such lifeless, mediocre music, I still can't bring myself to enjoy his performance. Malfeitor Fabban now capably handles most clean vocals and choir stuff. (Yes, choir. Because neoclassical automatically means good, right? Right?... Children of Bodom?...) Oh, was I supposed to be talking about a song? Well, it sucks. The album ends with "I Reject!" I guess it's Aborym's attempt at an "anti-everything" anthem. Anti-humanity, anti-society, anti-christ superstar! The beautiful people, the beautiful people... Oh, sorry, wrong sellout.

Generator gets some bonus points for the violent drumming of Faust, only stooping to ubiquitous martial snare rolls once throughout the entire album. It's good to know some of the scene's more famous icons aren't entirely bankrupt of talent just yet. The entire album is amazingly played and amazingly produced, but one has to WRITE good music before dressing it up in the studio. Failure to comply with these terms may result in quality equivalent to that of an Aborym album.

What is Generator? It's another 666 International; It's another Grand Declaration of War; It's another Rebel Extravaganza; It's Thorns sans the unique vision and artistic integrity.

Feel free to whack me now, "black metal mafia."