pointless cashgrab releases #5035033 - 35%

Noktorn, April 17th, 2010

Cash-grab promotional EPs like these are always annoying as hell to me. I mean, what's the point of this: one exclusive track (which is a cover anyway), a couple from the following full-length album, a re-recorded track from the first album, and some live material which no one cares about. Seriously, what's the point? Even if all the material is good you can get more of it on the ensuing full-length, so the only purpose of this is to generate money and expand the band's discography. Whatever.

The tracks which would appear on 'The Archaic Abattoir' are good if you like that: they show off Aborted's then-new fusion of melodic death/metalcore and brutal death/grind, and they're fun, though not the best tracks from that album. The Entombed cover is an Entombed cover: it wasn't particularly exciting in its original form and Aborted doesn't do a lot to expand upon it. The re-recorded track is serviceable death/grind, and though I haven't heard the original, I somehow doubt that a great deal was added in the redux. The live material, which I suppose could theoretically be the main draw here, is terribly produced, sounding like it cam from a handicam somewhere in the mosh pit. A soundboard recording it is not, and renders the tracks' presence meaningless.

If you have 'The Archaic Abattoir', there's no reason to get this, and if you don't... well, why don't you? Skip this and buy the actual album it's promoting, jackass.