A Great Return! - 95%

KalmahSlays, January 25th, 2012

Aborted has got to be one of my favorite death metal bands ever. They are heavy and brutal while also coming up with interesting hooks and riffs to keep you into the music. Not to mention Sven is one kick ass vocalist. I wasn't entirely disappointed with the release of Strychnine.213 but that album was definitely no Goremageddon. It seemed like most of the songs on Strychnine lacked drive and power. Well that's definitely not the case at all with Global Flatline. I can safely say Global Flatline will be one of the major death metal releases of 2012. So on with the review!

Global Flatline starts off with an eerie into track entitled "Omega Mortis." This track sets the stage for a the brutal pounding you are about to receive with the next track, which happens to be the title track. The intro to the title track is very reminiscent of a Suffocation-esque slam section. This is by no means a bad thing at all. The song then begins to pick up the pace and an audio clip bursts in saying "I'm going to fucking rape your soul!" Then begins the aural assault that is Global Flatline.

Everything is great on this album from the vocals to the instrumentation. The guitars have vastly improved from their previous album. There are more intricate riffs and more well written solos. The drums are pounding and really give a great feel to the music. They are fast when they need to be and groovy when appropriate. The song writing on this album is just outstanding. The vocals are amazing as usual and the bassist does his job very very well driving the music forward with heavy undertones. The lyrics are your standard gore filled, misanthropic lyrics that you would come to expect from Aborted.

All in all this album is a must have album for any lover of extreme forms of metal. It's brutal, punishing, and has a catch factor that surprised me very much. I'll find myself humming some of the riffs from this album or saying some of the vocal patterns to myself.

Stand out tracks: "Источник Болезни (The Origin Of Disease)", "Coronary Reconstruction" (Also found on their previous EP), and "Vermicular, Obscene, Obese" (This song has guest vocals by Trevor Strnad of The Black Dahlia Murder!)