Hardly metal... - 90%

noinnocentvictim, January 19th, 2006

This album is excellent, but can hardly be defined as metal in the usual sense. This is like Burzum's "Det Som Engang Var" album, but with even more ambient breaks. Abigor has managed to compose an album that encompasses the best of traditional music, ambient music and black metal. As long as you ignore the corny intro, you'll enjoy this album thoroughly. The black metal riffs are amazing, but what I find stands out more is the ambient tracks, which fit in the atmosphere almost seamlessly.

This album is around 25 minutes, and I believe this is the perfect length. While Abigor could have released this as a single track, I think it's almost more logical to break it up into pieces. This is probably what I would consider the epitome of ambient black metal. The ambient songs are moody and gloomy, while the black metal songs are extremely energetic, yet carry the same mood very well. There are no immediate flaws that can be found in this album, yet at 25 minutes, it gets old if listened to too often. It's quite the journey, but attempts to stick the concept right in your face, as though the atmosphere wasn't enough. While I believe the song titles and lyrics to be redundant, the songs are solid, which is what counts, I suppose.

Extremely melodic, as moody and atmospheric as possible, "Orkblut - The Retaliation" is an amazing piece.