Abigor - In Memory ... - 80%

WSinned90, January 8th, 2012

I really think that this is a must have for Abigor fans, you will see some other sides of Abigor on this one, as well as hear interesting versions of other songs.

The compilation starts off with two cover tracks, one cover of Kreator and one of Slayer. This is definitely not what someone would expect from this band. On the other side I can not think of one cover song I would imagine this band do. They start off with the Kreator cover of "Terrible Certainty", it starts with an intro before blasting away, Abigor of course performs the instruments perfectly and I still get a little bit of an Abigor vibe hearing this song, after the solo you also get a little hysteric scream, nice!

Next up is the Slayer "Crionics" cover, again they have maken a little intro and this song also got an Abigor vibe and is performed perfectly. The vocals are not as good as in "Terrible Certainty" in my opinion, but not that it matters so much, they do not destroy the song and I enjoy the music. Also of note is that Thurisaz handles the vocals on these two cover songs and not Silenius, I would have preferred to hear the songs with Silenius on vocals, that could have made the songs a hell of a lot more unique I think, but unfortunately that is not the case.

Next up is the re-recording of the demo track "Shadowlord", this version originally appeared on a compilation released by Napalm Records in 1995 called "With Us Or Against Us". The song starts with Silenius hysteric screams and the production is very clear, similar too "Verwüstung / Invoke the Dark Age", but with a bit more thick production. It is interesting to hear this song as it has been improved a lot since the original demo recording, also it is a pleasure to hear it with Silenius on vocals. I really like the original demo recording of the track, but I think that I prefer this version a bit more.

Then comes a rehearsal version of "Crimson Horizons and Ashen Skies", this is definitely the most interesting track on this release because of two reasons. The first reason is because I think that this song when appearing on "Opus IV" is one of the best Abigor tracks, second because that it differs a lot from the version you have heard on "Opus IV". The way the song is arranged is a lot different, some riffs are different and especially the vocal arrangement is a hell of a lot different, this makes for a very interesting experience and I actually like this version very much. I must however say that I like the version on "Opus IV" more, since I think that the arrangements of the song are more wise and more powerful. However this is a rehearsal version, with extra added guitar layers of course, and that is interesting to hear. It is also interesting to read the lyrics to this version and see the energy and power they create here. But the vocal arrangement on the "Opus IV" recording is definitely a lot more powerful.

Last we have a rough instrumental version of the song "Verwüstung" from "Apokalypse", this version does not differ musically from the version found on "Apokalypse", but it is very interesting to hear the material in a more raw version, since it is the most primitive Abigor release and therefor it actually suits the music good. But I prefer the production on "Apokalypse".

This is a pretty essential release if you really dig Abigor, it is not essential if you are not much into their music and it is definitely not a good place to start your Abigor collection, I would suggest that you try out "Verwüstung / Invoke the Dark Age", "Opus IV" or "Nachthymnen (From the Twilight Kingdom)" out first insted if you want to explore their dark art.

We Danced Naked Under the Fullmoon. Wait, Naked? - 87%

OfBloodandIron, January 12th, 2004

I've always been a big fan of Abigor. They're were the first Black Metal band I heard back in '97 courtesy of a mixed tape from a much older cousin. Needless to say this is, although short EP, holds up to my common Abigor standards. The EP consists of basically five 'rare' Abigor songs.

Terrible Certainty (Kreator Cover) - Superb drumming just as the original song had to offer. I'd say a good 60% of the time, intros are lame. They can be quite satisfying at times and add an awesome element to the song, but most bands abuse them into some pointless intro which you end up skipping anyway. This brings me to my point: I enjoy this intro. Like I said, the drumming is fantastic/furious. The vocals are, well, normal? Standard black metal voice.

Crionics (Slayer Cover) - A mixture between clean vocals and black vocals. Nice mixture. Very well done and a very nice cover. Headbanging, indeed. The intro I could've done without, but it doesn't take away from the song much. Killer riff.

Shadowlord - This song was originally from Abigor's first demo "Ash Nazg..." and also on the Napalm compilation "Waith Us or Against Us Vol. 1". Haunting vocals. The highlight is definitely the guitar. It builds until it hits a certain amazing point and then sticks to that point. The vocals? Well, it's very half and half. The vocals are obviously too low . They drown in and out throughout the entire song. There is obviously worse out there, too, but I've always enjoyed the vocals from Abigor and would like to hear this song with better vocal production. Towards the end the music hits a soft point of pure melodic grimness and the vocals fade back in. The lyrics are written beautifully.

Crimson Horizons - Released on "In Memory...", "Crimson Horizons" was first released on Opus IV. Heavy guitars and grim lyrics. Showing the demonic Abigor vocals that I've grown to love. Oh, yeah, and the lyrics rule. It strays from the common Black metal standard of "Wolf" this or "Pagan" that. Halfway through the vocals fade out leaving the listener with the blazing guitars. Suddenly the vocals come back with a swift rise in the music which, for me, makes me get chills. Good chills. Good "I Love Black Metal" chills. I absolutely love the drumming on here as well. Heil Moritz.

Verwüstung - This instrumental was also released before "In Memory..." on Abigor's "Apokalypse". Just another heavy instrumental. Nothing outstanding, but still well orchestrated piece of music.

Am I being biased for Abigor being my first BM band? Probably, but still, this EP is an awesome collection of covers and re-released material for true Abigor fans and BM fans alike.

Resistance is Futile!