Not any kind of core - 85%

Hawks10Pec, March 12th, 2009

First of all, anyone who thinks Abigail Williams is a metalcore band is an idiot. Abigail Williams is a SYMPHONIC BLACK METAL band from the US. This is their debut ep Legend. After releasing this ep, the band broke up. A couple months later they reformed with a completely different line-up except for the vocalist, Sorceron. Then, most of the new members either left or got kicked out of the band leaving just Sorceron. The old keyboardist rejoined the band and they are now working on their first full length album. Sounds like a lot for a band that has only released one ep right? What most people don't know is that this ep with just 5 songs on it is amazing.

Vocal-wise, I would describe Sorceron as a mix of Ihsahn from Emperor and Dani Filth from Cradle of Filth. Believe me that's definitely not a bad thing. This guy has the potential to be on of the best vocalists in the black metal scene. You will also hear him let out a death metal growl more than once during this album. The only complaint I have about him is that he also has a whiny emo/metalcore-like singing voice to go along with his amazing black and death metal vocals. Now, if you think this band is metalcore, these vocals might be the only thing you have to back that statement up. Other than that this guy's vocals are absolutely incredible.

The main instrument that the band utilizes is the keyboards. The keyboards will probably remind you of Cradle of Filth as well. If you cant tell this band is strongly influences by the Cradle of Filth guys. This album is extremely symphonic. The guitar playing on this album is very melodic and fast tremelo picking more often than not. While this album is very symphonic, it is also very fast and brutal. The drumming is blast beats basically the whole time and if you know me by now you will know that I can never hear the bass in any album I listen to so I couldn't tell you about that. The band also does an occasional breakdown, but its not a common thing during the album.

Basically, there is nothing wrong with this album except for the whiny emo/metalcore-like vocals that are used a couple of times throughout the album. I do know for a fact that they are gone on the full length that should be released later this year. If you are a fan of the early symphonic black metal bands such as Emperor, Cradle of Filth, Limbonic Art, Dimmu Borgir, etc, you should do yourself a favor and check this out.