© 2002-2015

Evoking Death Metal - 85%

AtteroDeus, March 20th, 2005

I'll say this first. I'm fed up of stupid lazy fucks constantly over comparing bands from a particular country against that country's most hyped/ popular bands in the same genre.
With Abhorrence being Brazilian, it shouldn't be that hard for anyone reading this to figure that I'm referring (partly) to near enough every Brazilian DM band being compared to Krisiun.

You don't see the likes of Kataklysm being compared to Cryptopsy or for want of a better secondary analogy, The Berzerker to Psycroptic.
Just because two bands come from the same country, (according to generic labelling) play similar genres of music, does not mean that comparing every band against the most popular isn't anything other than retarded & lazy.

Anyway, back to the point of reviewing this album.

Personally, as hypocritical as it might seem after what I wrote up there, I largely came to find out about the majority of Brazilian DM bands through having gotten into Krisiun and deciding to look into other bands.

While there's the likes of Nephasth and, until they split up, Rebaelliun, personally it gives you some semblance of why it's so easy for people to revert to the lazy option of comparing them to Krisiun as they peddle similarly structured songs.
Abhorrence on the other hand, at least to my opinion, don't particularly seem to care about following the rest of the crowd in terms of musical sound.

Sure, they - like pretty much any Brazilian extreme metal band probably -play 'death metal', have Satanic imagery and no doubt have big arms (in-joke re: Krisiun) but they seem to go down the more... gah, I can't particularly describe it, but where Krisiun seem to lately have gone down the 'technicality fused with razorsharp production and instinctive groove', Abhorrence seem to play death metal that could quite possibly have taken Morbid Angel's crown had it come out in the mid-90s.

I'm not saying they sound dated or 'old school' formulaeic, just that they actually buck the current trend of OTT (attempted) technicality in favour of the more true to the origins of Death Metal route of just playing as fast, sick and heavy as they can and making the best music they can.

This isn't a particularly technical, analytical or probably worthwhile review, but if you want me to sum it up for you briefly.... if you like classic death metal, buy this album.
If you want technicality, razorsharp production or other such new-fangled things, look elsewhere.