this is pretty good... just don't expect speed - 82%

UltraBoris, November 26th, 2006

this is a power-metal album, and anyone (see unfortunate reviewer below this one) thinking it's the second coming of the Motorhead-meets-the-first-Agent-Steel-LP "Vicious Attack" will be at least surprised, if not disappointed. It's not nearly as raw, not nearly as lovingly underproduced... it's what you'd call a "more mature" release, and that's not necessarily a bad thing.

If you want to know what this sounds like, think Heretic with Mike Howe. Okay, something a bit less obscure. Take that first album and mix it with the first WASP, complete with the big catchy melodies and total stereotypical "80s" sound, and add a pinch of early Jag Panzer. Seriously, this album is just about what you'd come up with if you were asked to name a typical "80s metal" release.

Well, is it good? Yeah, it actually is. The production is a step up from the previous album, and the songwriting is more developed, compared to the first album, with more subtle twists as opposed to relying on a single "bash your fucking face" ideal. For a good example of this, see "Nothing Sacred" with its multiple mood changes especially around the chorus. There's nothing wrong with the first album, and nothing wrong with this one either... sometimes you just need your necrocunt knifed in half, and sometimes you need the occasional time to think.

Back to Hell is a real burner, Temptations of the Flesh is something Blackie Lawless would be proud of, and the first track is magnificent, especially with that intro. I have no idea which band member had some classical training, but that introduction is my favourite of anything I've ever heard on any metal album, ever. Yes, that includes The Hellion.

We've come to the stage of our lives where there are two places you'll find this album... either on dusty vinyl for 50 cents in some back-alley record store, or on your favourite mp3 sharing space. In neither case should you pass it up. It's not a "ZOMG ETERNAL CLASSIC" like Ample Destruction, but it's solidly planted in that second wave of bands whose career should get at least a passing mention.