Terrible vocals - 40%

Nightwalker, September 16th, 2007

When I first saw Abandoned on Earthshaker Fest in '05, they didn't make a very memorizable performance. And although they're debut wasn't all bad, it wasn't mindblowing either. This new album is more of the same.

While the music is good in almost all its aspects (fast, raging and old school), the vocals require the necessary appreciation. Sometimes it all reminds me of the more thrashy Iced Earth songs, due to the use of power metal influences. This doesn't ensure that Iced Earth fans will like this though, 'cause it all sounds a lot more like German thrash. Anyway, it can't be denied that a lot of stuff that's played on this album, are direct copies of their idols (some Bay Area, but even more German thrash legends). In my opinion that's not a bad thing, 'cause I like the genre, but it isn't original either (so if you're looking for original thrash, this isn't the band). The main obstacle of finding this album a great release, are without any doubt -like I said- the vocals, 'cause they sound more like harsh power vocals, then like raw thrash vocals. It's not that they're bad, but they don't match the music in its whole.

If you're a bit open-minded on the thrash genre, you can almost blindly buy this album. Otherwise I'd recommend to check them out on their MySpace first...