"Unclean" is only half of it - 91%

the16th6toothson, August 24th, 2004

Wow, what a dirty, blazing, hateful punishing album! Abaddon Incarnate’s debut “The Last Supper” was a clenched fist, hate saturated inferno of blasphemy and spite, and it sounded like a Possessed, early Cryptopsy, Incantation, and Morbid Angel cocktail…only more unruly and intense than all four put together.
Now Abaddon Incarnate has a more savage grindcore sound, but still with heavy raw death undertones. In fact I’d say their new style is basically the old style only 4-minute songs crammed into 2-minute rage-fests.
There’s not one thing pretty or subtle here; it’s just one chaotic joyride into psychosis right into another(sas a few VERY brief moments thast serve to really only build into the next apocalyptic downward spiral).
The production is a wall of noise, energy and dirt. The production job is done by none other than Mr. Meiszko Talaczyk of Nasum/Regurgitate/Exhumed fame. And this is without doubt his best sounding job! When I first heard this was the man who was to do Nadir I wasn’t real sure if I’d like it but I have to say the sound on this is extremely gruesome and harsh! The guitar sound is a blistering, grating, scathing sandpaper tone and the bass is a cruel slab of grit and grime! The drumming sounds like hammers sent from the unholy heavens and the vocals are outlandishly acrid and vile!
Speaking of the vocals, not too many bands convey such hate and utter disdain for all holy and weak! A new voice in Abaddon Incarnate has been added to the equation on this release in the form of the higher pitched, Pterodactyl throated, Cory Sloan. His hellish screeches add a new dimension to the pure hate that is Abaddon Incarnate (in the debut "The Last Supper" Steve Maher was the lone throat grater). Steve’s vocals haven’t changed much since the Last Supper days and are still a natural yet VERY demonic tone. Steve could probably peel fresh wet paint off of a church’s walls if he were in the right (or is that wrong?) mood! Together you have one of death/grind’s most over the top dueling demonic vomiters!
This album can basically be summed up in a few short words…
Raw, hateful, devastating, angry, spiteful, intense, nasty, cold hearted, and unforgiving.
There isn’t much to add besides if you want your death/grind to be at the boiling point of pure hate and rage Abaddon Incarnate is your band, not too many bands leave me tired after listening like these guys do!
By the way, Nadir means "unclean"

Solid deathgrind - 80%

Life_Sucks, December 26th, 2003

I’m not all that much into grind, but I like this. Bringing the listener 24 songs in about 45 minutes of heavy as fuck, in your face deathgrind, I am glad that I bought this CD. Half of the songs are under two minutes, and only one of the songs is over three minutes, clocking in at 3:04. The first song starts with a heavy, chugging riff under the low deathgrunts of Bill Maher followed by the higher pitched screams of Corey Sloan. Then Bill handles the vocals himself over a typical blasting grind riff, which then leads into the chugging introductory riff again. Overall, the song has a very chaotic feeling, as do almost all the songs on this album. The songs are very fast most of the time, as grind usually is, but there are some cool slower paced chugging riffs too, like the main riff to the fourth track, Unclean. The dual vocal approach, which is utilized quite frequently throughout the album, is effective and fits the music. The guitar sound is very distorted and crushing. But the production is definitely not crystal clear, so it is sometimes hard to make out what the guitars are playing. However, since the guitar work is not very technical for the most part, this is not a problem most of the time. This CD is not for everyone. It is very heavy, and may be too extreme for those who don’t like grind or brutal death metal. If you need melody or perfect production, you will probably not like this CD very much. But if you like grind or raw, blasting death metal, this CD is worth checking out.