A rare, lost hidden gem - 80%

YogSloth, October 2nd, 2013

Picture this: crushing, brutal death metal, with all the hallmarks of the genre. Crushing, brutal grooves. Extreme vocals. Double-bass drumming.

Now mix it with slap-happy funk basslines and '70s-style groove sections that would make Bootsy Collins proud. Add a dash of "yo yo boy" wigger lyrics on top and mix it all together.

On paper, this should be a catastrophe. Instead, somehow, it all comes together and provides an extreme metal listening experience unlike any other band I've discovered... and all this from some totally unknown band out of New Mexico that doesn't appear to have done anything before or after this record. The funk and metal sections are largely separate, and switch back and forth between the two in a sometimes jarring juxtaposition, but it's precisely these sudden gear shifts that keep the record from plodding. It's certainly a different take on the formula, and at under 30 minutes, the record doesn't over-stay its welcome.

If you're looking for a pure, unadulterated death metal record, there are plenty of those out there. If you've been listening to death metal for twenty years and your ears are desperate for something different... seek out this CD. I found mine at random in a used record shop and bought it for the princely sum of $2 based on the logo and cover alone. Its unique qualities mean that it's a CD I'll reach for long after the latest Immolation clone has lost all interest for me... even if I really could do without the "yo yo muthafucka"-isms scattered throughout!