They should be where AMON AMARTH is now - 85%

dismember_marcin, February 4th, 2010

That was 1998 when A CANOROUS QUINTET has released their second album, but I must say that nowadays such music would easily be considered as just a lame copy of AMON AMARTH. And I find it as ridiculous! Damn, every review of A CANOROUS QUINTET I've read mentions AMON AMARTH as an influence. But in that time - 1995-98 - hardly anyone have heard about them! They were nobody! "Silence of World Beyond" was long time released before METAL BLADE unleashed "Once Sent from the Golden Hall". So everybody please stop saying that AMON AMARTH inspired A CANOROUS QUINTET! I guess both bands started at the same time and maybe originally were taking influences from similar bands... But it should rather be the opposite - AMON must remind you QUINTET. Not that it matters, but something like that really pisses me off.

The other thing is A CANOROUS QUINTET showed a high potential on their debut full length. It was a superb music - so ferocious that AMON AMARTH never even thought about something like that. What's most important, a follower, "Only Pure Hate" doesn’t disappoint, even though the band again made some changes in its style. I have an impression that A CANOROUS QUINTET has been less inspired by the black metal atmosphere and its furious sound (vocals especially) that were all evident on debut CD. And these Swedes looked more into AT THE GATES or UNANIMATED style that DISSECTION this time, luckily they've done that without wimping out...

Yeah, “The Only Pure Hate” shreds. I love the melodies the band plays and the way they manage to keep the music aggressive and raw. They simply never overdo with delivering the melodic riffs. The music is fantastic, catchy as hell and through the entire album you’ll end up banging your head like crazy maniac. There are some unforgettable tunes and so the album truly sticks in the mind for endless hours. It’s interesting to hear the band, which doesn’t bring a simple song structures, they rather concentrate on long instrumental passages and build intelligent compositions. I love the vocals’ parts as well – with the lyrics sheet you can almost scream some of the choruses with the CD, so it does make a great impact on the listener. The overall atmosphere is simply dark and raw, aggressive and full of energy – such things are necessary on good death metal album!

The final thing I must underline is the production. A CANOROUS QUINTET has moved from ABYSS to SUNLIGHT Studio and got much fatter and brutal sound in my opinion, which is great! It’s good to know that the bands were not forgetting about the famous SUNLIGHT after the 1990-94’s reign of the Swedish death metal. Skogsberg did help “The Only Pure Hate” a lot, giving it unforgettable, brutal and fat sound I adore.

So, to conclude – A CANOROUS QUINTET has done two full lengths and one MCD in their short career. I can’t honestly say which of these CDs is better. I enjoy listening to them all, and so I must recommend it to everybody. It’s one of such bands that I listen to with an enormous pleasure even after so many years, so horns up, bang your head with the quintet!!!!!!!