They should be where AMON AMARTH is now - 85%

dismember_marcin, February 4th, 2010

That was 1998 when A CANOROUS QUINTET has released their second album, but I must say that nowadays such music would easily be considered as just a lame copy of AMON AMARTH. And I find it as ridiculous! Damn, every review of A CANOROUS QUINTET I've read mentions AMON AMARTH as an influence. But in that time - 1995-98 - hardly anyone have heard about them! They were nobody! "Silence of World Beyond" was long time released before METAL BLADE unleashed "Once Sent from the Golden Hall". So everybody please stop saying that AMON AMARTH inspired A CANOROUS QUINTET! I guess both bands started at the same time and maybe originally were taking influences from similar bands... But it should rather be the opposite - AMON must remind you QUINTET. Not that it matters, but something like that really pisses me off.

The other thing is A CANOROUS QUINTET showed a high potential on their debut full length. It was a superb music - so ferocious that AMON AMARTH never even thought about something like that. What's most important, a follower, "Only Pure Hate" doesn’t disappoint, even though the band again made some changes in its style. I have an impression that A CANOROUS QUINTET has been less inspired by the black metal atmosphere and its furious sound (vocals especially) that were all evident on debut CD. And these Swedes looked more into AT THE GATES or UNANIMATED style that DISSECTION this time, luckily they've done that without wimping out...

Yeah, “The Only Pure Hate” shreds. I love the melodies the band plays and the way they manage to keep the music aggressive and raw. They simply never overdo with delivering the melodic riffs. The music is fantastic, catchy as hell and through the entire album you’ll end up banging your head like crazy maniac. There are some unforgettable tunes and so the album truly sticks in the mind for endless hours. It’s interesting to hear the band, which doesn’t bring a simple song structures, they rather concentrate on long instrumental passages and build intelligent compositions. I love the vocals’ parts as well – with the lyrics sheet you can almost scream some of the choruses with the CD, so it does make a great impact on the listener. The overall atmosphere is simply dark and raw, aggressive and full of energy – such things are necessary on good death metal album!

The final thing I must underline is the production. A CANOROUS QUINTET has moved from ABYSS to SUNLIGHT Studio and got much fatter and brutal sound in my opinion, which is great! It’s good to know that the bands were not forgetting about the famous SUNLIGHT after the 1990-94’s reign of the Swedish death metal. Skogsberg did help “The Only Pure Hate” a lot, giving it unforgettable, brutal and fat sound I adore.

So, to conclude – A CANOROUS QUINTET has done two full lengths and one MCD in their short career. I can’t honestly say which of these CDs is better. I enjoy listening to them all, and so I must recommend it to everybody. It’s one of such bands that I listen to with an enormous pleasure even after so many years, so horns up, bang your head with the quintet!!!!!!!

Holy Shit… - 83%

OzzyApu, May 19th, 2009

…it’s better than the debut! First time hearing this I wasn’t so please and felt it was boring and unnecessary. Wrong dumbass! This is by far the best release these guys have created – even their newer shit under a different band name doesn’t compete in the slightest bit.

Immediately opening with “Sefldeceiver (The Purest Of Hate),” I picked up on the heavy thrash influence. The track is fast-paced, melodic, intense, and as fun as pillaging. In fact, most of the songs are like this, but they don’t get tiring or redundant at all. The riffs themselves keep me entertained as they churn around, chug endlessly, and paint a bloody red picture in my head like the cover art. That said, the riffs are darker and more sinister than the previous album, which aimed to be more classical and innocent.

The most ferocious aspect is the drumming: complacent double bass, cymbals torn asunder like crazy, and a berserk pattern overwhelm the listener while the guitars go in for the mercy kill. This is expected from Andersson, who joined Amon Amarth before the creation of this album and thus gained a bit more experience – it shows. Another surprising fact is that solos are more abundant and kick more ass than ever before. “The Void” had me so entranced by its bridge solo and the following riff of desolation that I had to make sure it was the same band.

Ultimately, this album will sound exactly like Amon Amarth – the stampeding rhythm, crushing riffs, malevolent bass (doesn’t play a huge role), and the shredded screams of Hansen are all similar to early Amon Amarth. The only real difference is that this album has a “thinner” sound and thus the impact isn’t as thunderous. Compared to the debut though, it’s pretty powerful stuff. The riffs themselves sound romantically tragic and more convincing in supremacy. Growling like Amon Amarth would have been preferred and to some extent Hansen does some, but the majority here are screams that would fit better on a black metal album.

So uh, wow, quite the change in the right direction. To bad these guys would fuck it up by breaking up for a few years and then getting back together to form a shitty industrial / Gothenburg band. They could have easily continued this progression and made something along the lines of Sacrilege, another hostile melodic death band.