Silver and Gold - 85%

Zack2981, July 2nd, 2008

Needless to say, I was interested in this record because of Adrian Smith. I've been a long time Iron Maiden fan and had to check it out. The result is a very good album that I would have a hard time categorizing under anything heavier than hard rock. It is a good album, sure, but I almost feel like this is what it would sound like if Huey Lewis and The News cut a metal album. And on a related note, Adrian Smiths voice really does have a nice Huey Lewis tone to it. But, enough of that, onto the metal...

So, like I said, it's more of a hard rock album with some very nice solos thrown in. There are pianos involved and none of the songs ever get past a medium pace. No double bass, and only a nice little cameo by the electric guitar solo in each song. Having said all that, I don't want to turn anyone off from this album, I just want you to know what to expect. It's as far away from Maiden as one can get but it has it's own thing going and definitely has more of a blue collar feel to it.

I would recommend checking this album out, even if you're not into the band I made the comparison too. ASAP has a great metal foundation with its line-up and who couldn't blame them for wanting to try something new. What emerged was a lighter, fun rock record that actually has excellent (albeit short) solos thrown in where you wouldn't usually find them in songs by other bands who might play similar music.

Overall, a very solid album that I personally could listen to quite a bit. Give it a try, you might be surprised.