Death by riffage - 76%

UltraBoris, August 2nd, 2002

This is an album that can be compared to Coma of Souls or Beneath the Remains. The production isn't *quite* as brutal, but sometimes it is close, and the riff intensity and variety is definitely on level with those two releases. The only thing that's a bit problematic is that the album is just a bit short, and it has one kinda average Black Sabbath cover ("Paranoid").

Other than that, this rules from beginning to end. "Talk of the Devil" starts with a little intro, and then this massive riff comes out of nowhere, cleaving your skull in and forcing you to make peace with whatever deity it is that you worship because, son, I hate to break this to you, but the riffs have decided that it is TIME FOR YOU TO DIE!!!!

The song speeds up quite a bit, and then after a few verses, this intro riff comes back to haunt you AGAIN in the middle (you cannot get away, so fuck off and die!). Man, what an awesome fucking song.

Oh yeah it doesn't quite get that good ever again, but the rest of the album still thrashes in its own little way. "Danger" more thrash. "Fallen Angel" - oh look here is a happy little intro, perhaps the rest of this song is also cute and fluffy? WHY NO, YOU ARE SADLY MISTAKEN!!! The riffs are back and they are mighty displeased!

"Live to Die" LIVE TO RIFF!!! "Tsar" - it's a well-known fact that in 1881, Alexander II was blown up by an assassin armed with SEVENTEEN RIFFS PER MINUTE. "Heroes" - okay I'm out of really stupid things to say, and "I Hate Your Sex", I mean the lyrics are pretty damn bad (not quite "Go Home to Grave" but close), but my goodness, this album wants you DEAD!!!

I strongly suggest that you cooperate.