One kick-ass single! - 92%

cronosmantas, April 25th, 2005

I have always really liked the band Aria but I've never really got into the band because I can't speak or read Russian. Since I don't know Russian, I can't really get into the lyrics, but musically I love the band.

The single Colosseum was the first release with the then new line-up and was the pre-release single to the forthcoming album Christening by Fire. I almost didn't get this single at first, but since I was ordering a bunch of Aria CD's from a Russian merchant all at once, I decided what the hell. Wow, am I ever glad I did!

The first track is title track of the single, and probably the best song on the album Christening by Fire. Just a monster piece of classic heavy metal. Epic, and huge. The second track is an orchestral version of the song Antichrist. Some fans will love it, but I wasn't blown away by it. I actually usually skip over this track after listening to the opener to get to the next real gem.

The real gem of this release is the song Deception, a song that is only available on this single. A lot of times singles have special songs that are only avaiable there but the songs are usually passable. Not Deception. This is a monster of track. Starts off slow and but it then kicks off with a hellacious riff and it pulses all the way to the end. I don't speak Russian but I find myself singing the chorus (or at least trying, no doubt making a fool out of myself). I can't believe they didn't put this song on the album!

If you like Aria, you must own this single! The song Deception is a must!