without Internet Explorer,
in 1280 x 960 resolution
Good news, for once!
So I finally got ahold of the senior technician to look into things, and it turns out that some other staff guys did change the MySQL configuration recently, which explained the recent server fuck-ups (even though they said they hadn't when I complained to their support). Go figure.
I've put the search back on, and I was told to keep monitoring the server status until evening. So if anything goes wrong, don't be surprised if it gets removed again. Hopefully though, that won't be necessary.
Thanks again to everyone for their patience.