Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
sarcotalica
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:30 pm 

this has been probably asked a milion times but I wanna buy a beginner after playing a classical guitar for a year I wanna buy an electric guitar I asked some guy at guitar center and he recommended a Fender Squire beginner pack is that a good choice for a beginner guitar at around 200$?

I think its this pack

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Squier-by-F ... 1175988.gc

or maybe i should get this one?

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Squier-by-F ... 1175988.gc

Last edited by sarcotalica on Sun Aug 17, 2008 5:40 pm, edited 4 times in total.
halokaust
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:35 pm 

I got that beginner guitar, i would say it's a smart choice.

danimal342
MY THREDZ DONT SUKC BITCH!!1

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 3:14 am 

just get a cheap ESP, Ibanez, or Jackson. Cause it still may be a "crappy" guitar, but it'll get you a lot further then a squire will and you can atleast play those and get some respect. i absolutely hate squiers. sorry everyone (hangs head in shame) :gay:

EclipseInParadise
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 3:33 am 

I think Ibanez also do a decent beginners pack. But I agree with getting a cheap esp, jackson, or Ibanez - I also hate squiers! They'll be better, especially if you want to play metal

SupremeAbstract
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 11:01 am 

Do NOT get a Squire. Get a low end Ibanez, Jackson, or ESP. If you want to play metal, get something with humbuckers. I would also recommend a guitar without a tremolo until you get good enough to be using it. They're a pain to maintain unless you get a good one, and a cheap guitar won't have that.
www.rustyaxerecords.com

sarcotalica
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 1:40 pm 

Dont forget that I also need an amp do those Ibanez, Jackson, ESP have a starter pack? I also remember that the guy in the store showed me another starter pack that he said was a little bit better I dont remember what company it was though

Esplender
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 1:48 pm 

I'd suggest an RG series Ibanez as a beginner guitar.

danimal342
MY THREDZ DONT SUKC BITCH!!1

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 2:19 pm 

you dont NEED a guitar amp right away. just practice on your guitar for a while and when you like it buy a pretty good amp. if you plan to start a band i suggest no less then a 100 watt amp though. that way you're not having your amp on max all the time but you still have some leverage

sarcotalica
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 4:12 pm 

danimal342 wrote:
you dont NEED a guitar amp right away. just practice on your guitar for a while and when you like it buy a pretty good amp. if you plan to start a band i suggest no less then a 100 watt amp though. that way you're not having your amp on max all the time but you still have some leverage

I've already played an acoustic for a year

mattp
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:09 pm 

halokaust wrote:
I got that beginner guitar, i would say it's a smart choice.

sarcotalica wrote:
... Location: Israel

:lol:

Anyway, don't buy a starter pack. There is nothing in the starter pack that is any good. Buy a cheap Jackson, Ibanez, or ESP ( as has been said many times ). If you really want an amp, buy a Roland Microcube. Also buy a cheap Korg or Sabine chromatic tuner, a decent strap ( DiMarzio cllplok is really nice ) and a decent cable ( DiMarzio braided cables are good and about $20 for a 20' cable ).

Wrath_Of_War
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:11 am 

Never buy a Squier :nono: My first guitar was an ESP starter pack, and I love it. I still have the guitar. But pretty much what everyone else said. A low end ESP or Ibanez.

The tuner that came in my starter pack worked better as a door stop. I bought this one for under $20. This was 6 years ago and I still use the same model (lost the original, had to get a new one). Hasn't failed me yet. It can tune up to a 7 string guitar and 6 string bass
http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/shop_imag ... 3ae7df.jpg

thejestersgate
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:21 am 

Here's what I did and it made perfect sense.

Practice on acoustic until you save up 700 dollars for a good starter guitar. That way you'll have a better guitar and better skills.

I went with the black jackson rr3 649$ It took me a while but when I got it I already knew enough chords and scales to get me going.

Then you can start practicing the other shit, gallops, tremolo....ect....

You'll be alot happier with a nicer guitar, trust me it's worth the wait.

Negru_Voda
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:38 am 

Just a question: why the Squier hate? Are they bad for metal in particular or just bad in general?

Also, if he wants to play metal electric guitar, wouldn't an amp pretty much be essential? I don't know about you but there's nothing that motivates me more to play than the chunky sound I get from playing distorted. Being stuck with the silent twang and click of an unplugged electric is downright discouraging, especially when doing stuff like palm mutes and pinch harmonics.

Cold_Winter_Sun
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:11 am 

Most people knock Squier because they are perceived as a cheap and very nasty Far East built alternative to a real Fender. Most of this has some basis in fact...

However if you manage to stumble across a mid-1980's Squire then these are actually extremely good - but only the ones made in Japan.

SupremeAbstract
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:42 pm 

My god, I cannot recommend the Roland Microcube enough. Fucking great tone, some good features and fairly loud to boot. For about $125 bucks.
www.rustyaxerecords.com

Negru_Voda
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 3:05 pm 

Are there any amps that do without the speaker? I just need the circuitry and electronics and to hook it up to my stereo, I don't want to pay extra for a loudspeaker I don't need.

aChapo
Token Jew

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 3:20 pm 

Cold_Winter_Sun wrote:
However if you manage to stumble across a mid-1980's Squire then these are actually extremely good - but only the ones made in Japan.

Squires are built in a 449 bad 1 good ratio. You can actually get REALLY lucky and get a pretty decent guitar.

Negru_Voda: You can get a head (lol), it come with no speakers, though they cost a lot...

P.S.
Are you Russian?

SupremeAbstract
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:42 pm 

Negru_Voda wrote:
Are there any amps that do without the speaker? I just need the circuitry and electronics and to hook it up to my stereo, I don't want to pay extra for a loudspeaker I don't need.

These are called preamps, and are usually rack mounted. If you stereo system has an amplifier, you could theoretically use one through your stereo speakers.
www.rustyaxerecords.com

Ate
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:58 pm 

An amp has the added advantage of mobility,though a preamp can be plugged in a nice big surround system and do its thing.

As for a low-price guitar Id recommend a Washburn WI14.That's biased advice,mind you,though Ive had mine for about a year or so,still no complaints.
A nice chunky sound(even on my ridiculously small amp)no electronics problems yet,and shes a beauty compared to most other guitars in that price range.

Does anyone have an opinion on Epiphone guitars?

Adriankat
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 6:10 pm 

I still play my Ibanez RG120. Mainly because I'm cheap, but it's still quite a good guitar.

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 6:33 pm 

Ate wrote:
Does anyone have an opinion on Epiphone guitars?

I have an Epiphone Firebird (owned it about a year) and I love it. I haven't had any problems with it and it was only ~600$ so it didn't break the bank. Only downside is that it's a bit heavy (as in weight, not metal :P) but it sounds pretty good (and it's a firebird ;)). I'm no guitar expert though, so you might want to consult someone who know a little more than I do.

Reaper_of_Souls
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 9:49 am 

epiphones are good beginner guitars. i have an SG-400 with emgs. it sounds good for now. when i deserve it, i'll be going with a jackson rr

Windwaker
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:26 am 

Reaper_of_Souls wrote:
epiphones are good beginner guitars. i have an SG-400 with emgs. it sounds good for now. when i deserve it, i'll be going with a jackson rr

Agreed. My Epiphone Les Paul sounds pretty damn good considering how much it cost. Do not get a Squier. Anything but a Squier. They are the crappiest of all crappy guitars.

Vrede
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 1:01 pm 

SupremeAbstract wrote:
My god, I cannot recommend the Roland Microcube enough. Fucking great tone, some good features and fairly loud to boot. For about $125 bucks.

I own the 30W version and all I can say is that it fuckin' slays.

Speak for yourself.

LordOminous
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:40 pm 

I've just bought a Dean ML XM (lol dimebag lol) upgraded with seymour duncan pickups off the guitarist in my band for £50. I plan to learn how to play the fucking guitar on it. It looks pretty (natural wood is hot), and it is the lightest instrument I've ever held. Seems pleasing to me.

TheSupremeI
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:38 pm 

musicyo.com
Kramer Striker Custom. If you can get ahold of one, great begginer guitar. They also have explorer and rr copies that are pretty decent.

Dementia_Warrior
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 1:54 am 

Wrath_Of_War wrote:
Never buy a Squier :nono: My first guitar was an ESP starter pack, and I love it. I still have the guitar. But pretty much what everyone else said. A low end ESP or Ibanez.

The tuner that came in my starter pack worked better as a door stop. I bought this one for under $20. This was 6 years ago and I still use the same model (lost the original, had to get a new one). Hasn't failed me yet. It can tune up to a 7 string guitar and 6 string bass
http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/shop_imag ... 3ae7df.jpg

Very similar situation, I bought a low end ESP (EC-50) as my first guitar, along with the exact same tuner. I couldn't be happier with my decisions either, definately something all beginning electric guitarists should consider.

renegade498
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:40 am 

my first guitar was the B.C. Rich warlock, Metal Master pack. $200. It's good enough for a begginer guitar, and when you starting outit looks pretty cool.

mattp
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 2:41 pm 

Negru_Voda wrote:

Guitar speakers are not full range. They only really go from 80Hz to 5000Hz. Full range speakers, like your stereo, will show everything from 5KHz to 20KHz... which sounds like utter crap for guitar distortion.

You could get a guitar preamp but those are much more expensive.

Just get a Microcube. They are the best practice amps on the market.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.