Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Gorgo
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:39 am 

caspian wrote:
As long as we don't start experimenting with wormholes on Phobos and Deimos.

Why shouldn't we? In theory, wormholes are possible and it is the best way to colonize space. I really hope that I'll live long enough to witness the landing of the first man on Mars and perhaps alien contact. I hope that the new space tourism from Branson will become affortable one day, it is a dream to see space.

http://www.myspace.com/onrust1
"Acoustic music"

Kruel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:40 am 

Wormholes are on Phobos or Deimos?

Wormholes seem to be the only way to travel out of the cosmic horizon. That is, provided they are traversable wormholes...

I don't think wormholes would matter much in the context of our solar system, though. It's highly unlikely that wormholes even exist within our solar system, or that they will take us to somewhere inside our solar system.
yeah, it's ironic, they are so pretentious, yet one can say that at least they don't pretend. They don't release some techno-rap-whatever album and say "on this record we tried to sound like in our old days"

LotF
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:18 pm 

Gorgo wrote:
caspian wrote:

Why shouldn't we? In theory, wormholes are possible and it is the best way to colonize space. I really hope that I'll live long enough to witness the landing of the first man on Mars and perhaps alien contact. I hope that the new space tourism from Branson will become affortable one day, it is a dream to see space.

I'm going to assume you haven't played Doom :P (the game). The story is about playing with wormholes on both Mars moons and it opens the gate to hell. That was the pun he was aiming for... I think.

In theory, the idea of wormholes would be great, but if I recall, the physics behind it would not leave our body in the proper form when we exited. Of course humanity would eventually find some way around it with the way we're going.

Evil_Johnny_666
Reigning king of the night

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:10 pm 

Nice thread.

I'm one of those who are almost certain there is life somewhere else in the galaxy, that even if we are a ''miracle'', there is enough planets to make another ''miracle'' possible. Or maybe some sort of life form totally different from ours and that works totally in a different way that we would never imagine exists.

i'm also one of those who think that in a relative future we might have the technology to travel faster in space, have a super-clean energy source, and do other unthinkable things. Just think about all the technological advencements we had since the begining of history. It's as if it was exponential. Hundred of years until we discover something grroundbreaking and then it takes less and less time. The better our technology, the easier to discover something. Just the TVs as an example, how much time did it take to get a colour one? and then an HD one (plasma and all?) a couple of months ago I saw they developped a new kind of TV (one that would cost the price of a big plasma or more for a small one). If anyone said that we would walk on the moon, that we would have satellites, cars, a one hundred story building, the nuclear bomb in the medieval times would be called an insane (or heretic) and people would laugh at him. And 700-800 hundred years later?

So I think having the idea of colonizing planets isn't too far-fetched and that anyway earth won't die (of course, it's some the big ecolos who make you think so) but become inhabitable or too populated or one day, in thousands of years be anihilated by the sun.

Gorgo
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:35 am 

LotF wrote:
Gorgo wrote:
caspian wrote:

I'm going to assume you haven't played Doom :P (the game). The story is about playing with wormholes on both Mars moons and it opens the gate to hell. That was the pun he was aiming for... I think.

In theory, the idea of wormholes would be great, but if I recall, the physics behind it would not leave our body in the proper form when we exited. Of course humanity would eventually find some way around it with the way we're going.

Yeah, never played it:p.

http://www.myspace.com/onrust1
"Acoustic music"

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1, 2