Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
deathcorpse
Super Cres at Best

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:14 am 

ryan_the_snake wrote:
GRAND FUNK RULES! The "Red" album and the live double album that came out soon after that are my faves. The bass sound is just so massive and the rhythm section is locked at all times. "Red" is their most aggressive and heaviest album, I think.

Definitely. Love those albums. The Red is definitely the most heaviest more guitar riff stoner thing...and Close To Home is more on that Funkadelic electric vibe. Both I dig.

Gutterscream
The Last Old Schooler in Town

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:43 am 

Fatal_Metal wrote:
Just check out Gutterscream's RYM page

http://rateyourmusic.com/user_albums/al ... s_reviewed

We're indebted to him for it.

Damn, it feels like I wrote them so long ago. Actually they're probably the first reviews I had written in about eight years. I haven't added to that page in quite awhile.
"No, Lair...but that's a pretty damn good name too!".

Gutterscream

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:47 am 

PhantomOTO wrote:
Demian is a pretty cool band. They released one self-titled album in '71, I think. They were previously known as Bubble Puppy and released A Gathering of Promises in '69. That one has a more psychedelic flair, while the Demian record trims some of the excesses while maintaining their ability to pull of convincing heavy tunes and endearing softer ones. You can score both albums on a fairly recent digipack reissue.

I'll second the Demian album. Heavier and more serious than the Bubby Puppy record which I'm also a big fan of - light n' airy in that innocently hippy-ish, carefree vibe. Total summer of love stuff.

Ed: And while I'm here, a few more to look into:

Bang's s/t ('71)

The Way We Live's A Candle for Judith ('71 - became Tractor. This one may be a bit too light, though catchy).

Asterix's s/t ('70 - pre Lucifer's Friend, usually considered LF's first despite the name).

The Groundhogs's Split ('70 - already mentioned, but here're the covers)
and ('71)

Tarkus s/t ('72)

Andromeda s/t ('69)

Killing Floor s/t ('69) and Out of Uranus ('70)

My Solid Ground s/t ('71 - Germany)

And a different Solid Ground from Sweden w/ Made in Rock ('76).

more later...

SiameseDream
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:12 am 

I don't know how many of you have heard of Terry Reid, but he was the man Jimmy Page selected to lead Led Zeppelin before Robert Plant eventually did so. He delivered some amazing music in the 70's, and is still going strong today. In fact, for anyone who's seen the movie The Devil's Rejects, three of his songs are featured in the movie, and on the soundtrack.

Catachthonian
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:18 am 

Whenever Pentagram is mentioned, Bedemon must be mentioned too.

I think I'll also throw in Warlord (from UK, if my memory doesn't fail me). Maybe not exactly what you're looking for, but still definitely worth listening to.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:00 am 

deathcorpse wrote:
ryan_the_snake wrote:
GRAND FUNK RULES! The "Red" album and the live double album that came out soon after that are my faves. The bass sound is just so massive and the rhythm section is locked at all times. "Red" is their most aggressive and heaviest album, I think.

Definitely. Love those albums. The Red is definitely the most heaviest more guitar riff stoner thing...and Close To Home is more on that Funkadelic electric vibe. Both I dig.

I definitely appreciate that "Red" album and will probably end up buying it ... heheh, much easier to get than some of the stuff mentioned here! and yes Deathcorpse, those live songs rule. Actually, I remembered hearing "Sin's a Good Man's Brother" a long time ago and now I"m thinking it's got to be one of their best tunes for sure.

Are there any Atomic Rooster fans here? I love that band. Their debut is my favourite .. so moody and dark in places .. but even the later, soul-tinged stuff is pretty fantastic. I have a great live recording from 1970/71 that features some of the songs from the first two albums but played heavier and faster in some cases .. lots of energy, and Carl Palmer was still in the band then!

Bezerko
Vladimir Poopin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:03 am 

Abominatrix wrote:
deathcorpse wrote:
ryan_the_snake wrote:

I definitely appreciate that "Red" album and will probably end up buying it ... heheh, much easier to get than some of the stuff mentioned here! and yes Deathcorpse, those live songs rule. Actually, I remembered hearing "Sin's a Good Man's Brother" a long time ago and now I"m thinking it's got to be one of their best tunes for sure.

That's the one I DEFINITELY DIDN'T DOWNLOAD (!!!), and it's such a good album. Hopefully I'll be able to buy it, and some other Grand Funk tomorrow.

Here's hoping for cheap prices so I can get more than one album!

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:03 am 

SiameseDream wrote:
I don't know how many of you have heard of Terry Reid, but he was the man Jimmy Page selected to lead Led Zeppelin before Robert Plant eventually did so. He delivered some amazing music in the 70's, and is still going strong today. In fact, for anyone who's seen the movie The Devil's Rejects, three of his songs are featured in the movie, and on the soundtrack.

Oi, really? I had no idea ... I actually downloadedd some of his tracks on a whim some weeks ago, having no clue who he was or what he'd done .. and yes, I enjoyed them .. will have to give another listen tonight. I've been checking out so much music in this vein lately. Gutterscream, you ensure that I'll be hitting up this thread for quite a long time yet! :thumbsup:

Bang I know and like a lot. How about Argus? They seem to have some good, rocking stuff.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:32 am 

Abominatrix wrote:
ANationalAcrobat wrote:
Captain Beyond's- debut is a classic, definitely check that out if you haven't already.

Lucifier's Friend's debut too is pretty cool.

That High Tide band are weird, it's like Jim Morrison singing on a Blue Cheer record, think there's some violin on there too.

That's a pretty good description of High Tide's sound all right, at least on that debut. And yes, ther'es lots of violin .. check out "Death Warmed Up" .. haha, what a song! That violin player went on to hawkwind in 1974 and played with them for several years. It still cracks me up sometimes to hear a crazy violin solo in the first version of "Motorhead", but hell, I think it's great.

Was his name Simon House (It was definately Simon something or other) I love the Hawkind stuff with him on, Warrior... and Hall are Hawkwind´s best studio stuff. I got Warrior on vinyl for 5 quid, it folds out into a shield that says chaos, you don´t get that with MP3. btw, I´m a big fan of Atomic Rooster´s Death Walks Behind You album, what else should I check out by them? Vincent Crane was great he played with Arthur Brown, I love Arthur Brown´s Journey era output too, although not strictly rock it´s quite something.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:18 am 

ANationalAcrobat wrote:
Abominatrix wrote:
ANationalAcrobat wrote:
Captain Beyond's- debut is a classic, definitely check that out if you haven't already.

That High Tide band are weird, it's like Jim Morrison singing on a Blue Cheer record, think there's some violin on there too.

That's a pretty good description of High Tide's sound all right, at least on that debut. And yes, ther'es lots of violin .. check out "Death Warmed Up" .. haha, what a song! That violin player went on to hawkwind in 1974 and played with them for several years. It still cracks me up sometimes to hear a crazy violin solo in the first version of "Motorhead", but hell, I think it's great.

Was his name Simon House (It was definitely Simon something or other) I love the Hawkind stuff with him on, Warrior... and Hall are Hawkwind´s best studio stuff. I got Warrior on vinyl for 5 quid, it folds out into a shield that says chaos, you don´t get that with MP3. btw, I´m a big fan of Atomic Rooster´s Death Walks Behind You album, what else should I check out by them? Vincent Crane was great he played with Arthur Brown, I love Arthur Brown´s Journey era output too, although not strictly rock it´s quite something.

A Chaos shield? Seriously? Woa, that's bloody incredible and I honestly never knew that about the vinyl .. thatt is a pretty rare find isn't it? YOu definitely scored well there.

I think the debut self-titled Atomic Rooster is just fantastic. APparently there are two versions floating around; one of them doesn't have a guitar track! haha....but they're not really a guitar band anyway. Still, this album is seriously incredible and I like it better than DWBY, though that's not meant to degrade that album at all.. Vincent Crane is a great organist and song-writer and was obviously an eccentric and troubled man.

Gutterscream

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:15 pm 

Unfortunately, I have kind of a hard time with Atomic Rooster. I guess there was a build up to what they sounded like and what I thought they were going to sound like, so finding stuff I enjoy by them is a little rough.

This is a good one from Epitaph, their third from '74, simultaneously progressive and catchy.

Bloodrock's not too bad either. This is their second (obviously) from '70.

Cargo's one and only from '72.

And here's one I wish was better than it is - with a name like Heavy Rock Spectacular, you'd think it'd be, well, y'know. Heavy only in organ content, though first song "Freedom" isn't too bad, if not a little sugary.

One I've always wanted to hear but haven't had a chance, by Sweden's Blakkula, their s/t from '75.

deathcorpse
Super Cres at Best

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:54 am 

ANationalAcrobat wrote:
Abominatrix wrote:
ANationalAcrobat wrote:

Was his name Simon House (It was definitely Simon something or other) I love the Hawkind stuff with him on, Warrior... and Hall are Hawkwind´s best studio stuff. I got Warrior on vinyl for 5 quid, it folds out into a shield that says chaos, you don´t get that with MP3. btw, I´m a big fan of Atomic Rooster´s Death Walks Behind You album, what else should I check out by them? Vincent Crane was great he played with Arthur Brown, I love Arthur Brown´s Journey era output too, although not strictly rock it´s quite something.

I have Warrior, Strange Quirk and Charm, Doremifasolatido, Hall, and Space Ritual on vinyl. Awesome records. I actually the original Space Ritual insert signed by Dave Brock. Love Hawkwind with Lemmy especially.

prezuiwf
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 1:22 am 

I know Captain Beyond was already said, but I really must second it. Their self-titled debut is my favorite album of all time (and I own a LOT of albums). Sufficiently Breathless is also a fantastic album, not as good as the debut but it cracks my top 50 for sure.

I would also suggest Leaf Hound. Sort of a heavier, druggier version of Led Zeppelin.

Gutterscream

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:08 pm 

A deceiving one - Coven's Witchcraft Destroys Minds and Reaps Souls from '69. Intriguing, spooky n' odd, but rarely ventures into hardness. Just a warning. A few fun facts:
- Singer Jinx was 19 years old at this time.
- Would have a pretty major hit around '74 with "One Tin Soldier".
- Said to be the first album to feature the devil horns (see the back cover and gatefold).
- Featured a 15-20 min black mass as the last 'song'.
- Was on a major label - Mercury.

The inside gatefold sleeve - that's Jinx on the altar. Gonna stretch the shit out of this page with this one, but it's worth it.

Back cover -

Even though it's not hard rock, it's still a chilling little record that sets the Summer of Love innocence a little on its ear.

Last edited by Gutterscream on Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:35 pm 

Gutterscream wrote:
One I've always wanted to hear but haven't had a chance, by Sweden's Blakkula, their s/t from '75.

I think that's not "Blakkula", it's "Blåkulla", which would roughly translate to "Blueville". "Blå" means "blue" and the Swedes use "kulla" as an ending to village names. Silly, them Swedes.

Looks nice, though.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 4:16 pm 

Gutterscream wrote:
A deceiving one - Coven's Witchcraft Destroys Minds and Reaps Souls from '69. Intriguing, spooky n' odd, but rarely ventures into hardness. Just a warning. A few fun facts:
- Singer Jex was 19 years old at this time.
- Would have a pretty major hit around '74 with "One Tin Soldier".
- Said to be the first album to feature the devil horns (see the back cover and gatefold).
- Featured a 15-20 min black mass as the last 'song'.
- Was on a major label - Mercury.

The inside gatefold sleeve - that's Jex on the altar. Gonna stretch the shit out of this page with this one, but it's worth it.

Back cover -

Even though it's not hard rock, it's still a chilling little record that sets the Summer of Love innocence a little on its ear.

Yep, I have a copy of that, I think it's ripped from the vinyl too .. doesn't sound quite right on CDR, but oh well. It's definitely not hard or heavy, but oh man, her voice just makes that album .. haha, it's so good. By the way, apparently she had a really serious heart attack a couple of weeks ago.

Wasn't "One Tin Soldier" by ..."The Original Cast", or something like that?

Forrizzledog
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:32 pm 

This thread needs more Ten Years After.

I can imagine a lot of people writing them off as a Cream worship band, but they really have a different feel about them to me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03592Tdh ... re=related

And I haven't read through the rest of the thread, so I might be just repeating but Montrose are pretty nice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tk52nGxF-jc

Before Sammie Hagar ruined Van Halen, he was in Montrose. But he was good then.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 8:56 am 

Have we mentioned 70s Pentagram yet? Does anyone know If 'First Daze Here Too' is any good, the first one is rather good.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 7:55 pm 

Gutterscream recommended Horse's self-titled in a similar thread and I was just thinking that the singer sounds kind of like the guy from Green Day. :lol:

Good album regardless, checking others in this thread out.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

yogibear
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 8:16 pm 

"Bang" is some killer stuff, singer sounds a bit like Ozzy.

was Dust mentioned? they were pretty heavy and awesome

Src is a cool band.
Spontaneous Combustion is a good band.

PriestofSadWings
Bishop of Dark Spaces

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 8:26 pm 

Bang - Bang
Sounds like UFO mixed with Black Sabbath. The riff on "The Queen" is a classic.

BurningASinner
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 3:25 am 

I actually am really really into 60s/70s proto-metal/heavy stuff in general. I have hundreds of albums on my "list of CD's I NEED to buy". Jerusalem is a good old heavy band. Blues Creation are heavy in a Cream sort of way also. Heres some more for people to check out (note that a bunch are heavy psych stuff too)

13th Floor Elevators
Black Widow
Bloodrock
Comus (First Utterance is one of the best albums. Period. Acid Folk of sorts)
Country Joe & The Fish
Coven
De De Lind
Frijid Pink
Fuzzy Duck
Granicus
Irish Coffee
Ithaca
Jacula
Kahvas Jute
Kruiz
Le Orme
Leaf Hound
May Blitz
MC5
Metamorfosi
Plastic Cloud
Procol Harum
Power of Zeus
Pretty Maids
Socrates Drank The Conium
The Jeff Beck Group
Trapeze
Vanilla Fudge

Again, a good portion are psych/prog bands but they're all pretty heavy. I have more if anyone would like, but im tired now :p

Catachthonian
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 3:56 am 

BurningASinner wrote:
Kruiz

:shock: WHAT. THE. FUCK.

@ Napero: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blakulla - read the third paragraph.

Gutterscream

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 1:47 pm 

Napero wrote:
Gutterscream wrote:

I think that's not "Blakkula", it's "Blåkulla", which would roughly translate to "Blueville". "Blå" means "blue" and the Swedes use "kulla" as an ending to village names. Silly, them Swedes.

Looks nice, though.

Yeah, I always screw up that spelling, even when it's right in front of me :p

Abom: yes, it was originally by The Original Cast in '69. The song has a strange historty of being re-recorded to hit status by more than one artist, Jinx being one (she requested that the song be credited to Coven instead of just her [she sang it with the film's orchestra] in The Legend of Billy Jack's album credits). Guy Chandler also re-recorded it around the same time.

Last edited by Gutterscream on Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BurningASinner
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:06 am 

Catachthonian wrote:
BurningASinner wrote:
Kruiz

:shock: WHAT. THE. FUCK.

@ Napero: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blakulla - read the third paragraph.

Whooops, didnt mean to stick that in there :P. Good 80s speed metal though haha. Sorry.

Gutterscream

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:22 pm 

BurningASinner wrote:

Black Widow

Like Coven, you have to be careful with these guys. Named to kill but the music can lull you into dissatisfaction, especially if you're expecting something meatier.

1970-72

StryckenFromHistory
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:42 pm 

Can someone rec me something similar to Satori by FTB, early Sabbath, or the heavier Blue Cheer material?

RelentlessEwok
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:57 am 

I just dropped in to say that Hocus Pocus by Focus is like the catchiest song ever. Not so much some of their other songs though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpV5InLw52U

More songs should be this epic.

BurningASinner
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:29 am 

StryckenFromHistory wrote:
Can someone rec me something similar to Satori by FTB, early Sabbath, or the heavier Blue Cheer material?

The early 70s band Jerusalem should interest you. They are old and heavy; have a raw, even heavier than Sabbath sound and they released their debut a year or too later too. Highly recommended. You may also like Frijid Pink. They are oft compared to Blue Cheer.

Mungo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 6:09 am 

deathcorpse wrote:
And WITCHCRAFT from Sweden..especially the first album.

Abominatrix, did you check those YOUTUBE videos at all that I posted?

Fuck yeah, Witchcraft are awesome. I don't think they belong in this thread though, even if they do sound as if they are from the 70s.

ENKC
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:26 am 

ryan_the_snake wrote:
Buffalo, "Volcanic Rock." Heavy, heavy riffing, angry gruff vocals, bluesy tracks, totally kick ass! From Australia. I've heard one or two of their other albums and I like this one best. One of the guys went on to be in Rose Tattoo.

I couldn't agree more. Supposedly Buffalo opened for Black Sabbath once here in Aus, and got the crowd going so well that the Sabs were booed! Crazy stuff.

As for Rose Tattoo, every self respecting hard rock fan needs to be familiar with them. They're probably the closest thing to Motorhead you'll ever hear. They've done Wacken several times in recent years and were heavily tied to AC/DC in the old days (Phil Rudd was in Rose Tattoo first).

Frontman Angry Anderson has also appeared in a Saxon video with Lemmy and Biff. You can see it here: http://youtube.com/watch?v=YF4_YciUVKA

Gutterscream

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:23 am 

Just popping in to say some of Nazareth's stuff isn't too bad (if it hasn't been said already).

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:14 am 

I've never actually heard any Rose Tattoo, them and Hanoi Rocks are two hard rock bands I've got to check out. I see the Groundhogs are here too, my dad introduced them to me and Tony McPhee is a genius. Split and Thank Christ For the Bomb are my favourites. I've got most of them on vinyl at home including the rare Hogwash, I don't think you can get that one on CD.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 3:19 pm 

Buffalo are heavy as hell.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 3:20 pm 

Nahsil wrote:
Buffalo are heavy as hell.

Yeah, I figured those things might be tough to lift.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 3:25 pm 

more ride less left and you'll be fine.

I don't suppose there are any bands named Bantha?

BlackFairies
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:27 am 

Paternoster from Austria was a prog band that was not that heavy but one of the darkest bands I ever listened. I am sure that some Metalheads might love them...

BurningASinner
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 2:17 am 

BlackFairies wrote:
Paternoster from Austria was a prog band that was not that heavy but one of the darkest bands I ever listened. I am sure that some Metalheads might love them...

Yeah, I used to like them a lot. Quite obscure, dark stuff..The vocals are a bit strange, however.

fishman3226
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:21 am 

I know we are talking obscure but might I recommend Deep Purple's first three albums (pre Gillan?) They are quite heavy with a hippy tint. Fucking mint I might say.

I must also third Captain Beyond. Got them on my MP3 player in the car for about a month now.

And Uriah Heep? I think this bands earliest stuff is really under appreciated.

Awesome thread this one.

ENKC
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:21 pm 

The first three Purple albums are actually from the sixties. We're really going a long way back now.
Gif logos are a rare and special thing. They should be reserved only for truly exceptional and rare and special and important bands, bands like Blind Guardian and... Blind Guardian. This should be in the rules.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next