Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:01 pm 

Yep, it's another recommendation thread, but maybe we can also use it to discuss some of our favourite little-known 70s rock gems. I've been really finding a lot of this stuff lately .. I always enjoyed much of that dirty, bluesy 70s rock sound, especially from underground bands of the time. I am loving the kind of stuff Rockedrome and the former Monster Records are unearthing by artists like Truth and Janey, Cain, Negative Space (only heard a few tracks, but god damn, this sounds great!), etc. II love Necromandus, the German band Necronomiconn who released one hell of a dark and heavy album in 1972, and of course Pentagram, Blue Cheer and the like. I'm looking for more stuff in this vein, with varying degrees of bluseiness or progressive qualities. I like the loose, live quality many of these bandss possessed and appreciate the garagey dirty sound many of them have. The more wailing guitars, thudding and clattering drums and soulful husky outcries from the singer, the happier I am.

SO what do you fellows think I might be missing out on? It seems there's a bottomless well of this kind of stuff, but I also know there's some pretty boring crud out there and I've just been lucky with what I've discovered so far. Show me the hidden treasures!

deathcorpse
Super Cres at Best

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:19 pm 

Some more well known things, but you probably already know them. Just a few...

Budgie - First album and Squawk

Grand Funk Railroad - Closer To Home

Black Oak Arkansas - Raunch And Roll Live

James Gang - Yer Album

Cactus - Cactus

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:27 pm 

Yes, I definitely appreciate Budgie. Never listened to much Grand Funk Railroad to be honest, nor BLack Oak Arkansas .. I think I"ll check out those releases. James Gang sounds totally new to me! Oh, and I don't have any Cactus albums, but GUtterscream introduced me to them some time ago and since then I"ve learned that a friend of mine really likes them ... some of the tracks I downloaded were a bit more clean and slick than I was expecting, so I guess I should be after the early stuff, like that debut?

Gutterscream
The Last Old Schooler in Town

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:34 pm 

Abom - have you heard any of these?

Whalefeathers s/t '71

Josefus - Dead Man '69/'70

Sex s/t '70 (yeah, a gay cover almost literally, but heavy and pretty good)

The Misunderstood (around since '63 in one incarnation or another, but got heavier as time went on, finally reaching their peak in '69...

...then some members formed High Tide that same year and released Sea Shanties, one of the few pre-70s heavies)

Joseph - Stoned Age Man '70 (bluesy w/ rough, drawl-ridden vocals)

Ashkan - In From the Cold '69
"No, Lair...but that's a pretty damn good name too!".

deathcorpse
Super Cres at Best

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:36 pm 

Abominatrix wrote:
Yes, I definitely appreciate Budgie. Never listened to much Grand Funk Railroad to be honest, nor BLack Oak Arkansas .. I think I"ll check out those releases. James Gang sounds totally new to me! Oh, and I don't have any Cactus albums, but GUtterscream introduced me to them some time ago and since then I"ve learned that a friend of mine really likes them ... some of the tracks I downloaded were a bit more clean and slick than I was expecting, so I guess I should be after the early stuff, like that debut?

I think the Cactus debut is the best release. Definitely check out that GFR release, I just got the remaster a few weeks ago (because I got it free at work) and it rules. I had it on vinyl for years. If you like Monster Magnet at all, they covered SIN IS A GOOD MAN'S BROTHER on their SPINE OF GOD album. It's very funky and bluesy and dirty riffing, you may dig it. Very groovy.

James Gang is Joe Walsh's band before he joined the Eagles and went solo. That first album is very jammy, like many bands of the time in 69' were (Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, The Faces, etc). Pretty stoner. I also recommend the other 2 James Gang albums although they are a bit more refined, Rides Again and Thirds. It's all off the Cream and Hendrix vibe.

I also recommend the Hendrix BAND OF GYPSIES albums that are the Fillmore East recordings. There is the original album, and then the remastered outtakes from the show which is a double CD. Both great, but you probably know about them anyway. It's Hendrix on the funk tip but I dig it.

This is a thread I remember from a while back which has quite a few recommendations on it that are obscure. Might we what you are looking for....

http://metal-archives.com/board/viewtop ... k&start=40

I just checked, Gutterscream is all over this thread and owns it.

Gutterscream

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:38 pm 

Abominatrix wrote:

The first one's good, plus this one's not too bad
From '71

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:47 pm 

Gutterscream wrote:
Abom - have you heard any of these?

Whalefeathers s/t '71

Josefus - Dead Man '69/'70

Sex s/t '70 (yeah, a gay cover almost literally, but heavy and pretty good)

The Misunderstood (around since '63 in one incarnation or another, but got heavier as time went on, finally reaching their peak in '69...

...then some members formed High Tide that same year and released Sea Shanties, one of the few pre-70s heavies)

Joseph - Stoned Age Man '70 (bluesy w/ rough, drawl-ridden vocals)

Ashkan - In From the Cold '69

Awesome, I knew you'd have something to say about this! :D

I downloaded that Josefus album actually as it sounded pretty appealing, but this reminds me that I haven't listened to it yet! i will remedy that, tonight. Also got that THe Misunderstood track .. "Golden Glass" I believe? .. from some compilation of psych tracks from the late 60s, and it's great! I wasn't aware of the High Tide connection though, and tha'st really cool as I have had "Sea Shanties" for a long time now and love it! I think the others are all new to me, so I'll take a gander on the net and decide what I should look for.

BTW, have you heard this band from South Africa called Suck? I downloaded their only album some time ago and it's great .. they even cover "War Pigs" on it (this must have only come out a few months after "Paranoid") .. there may be a Grand Funk Railroad cover on there as well. Pretty raw stuff; none of the musicians are exemplary but it just has this really enjoyable and kind of dark and explosive sound to it that I really like.

deathcorpse
Super Cres at Best

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:55 pm 

Here's some Grand Funk youtube clips so you can get an idea:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Gsx92eQGTSU
SIN'S A GOOD MAN'S BROTHER (from Closer To Home)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=IMg1L5umAnI&feature=related
GOT THIS THING ON THE MOVE (from the "Red" album...also great)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=IP683QuEsvk&feature=related
HIGH FALOOTIN' WOMAN (also from the Red album)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=0x6chChxzV0&feature=related
INSIDE LOOKING OUT 1969 (live)

rathofgod
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:46 pm 

I guess the only really obscure one I have from that period would be Granicus' Twilight. It's an excellent album from 1973. The band sounds almost exactly like Led Zeppelin, although the vocalist reminds me more of Geddy Lee than Robert Plant. Anyway, it's a good album that is highly recommended for Zep fans.

ksbluesfan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:51 pm 

The late Rory Gallagher kicked all kinds of ass.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyHymAxUVrc

Gutterscream

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:57 pm 

Abominatrix wrote:
Awesome, I knew you'd have something to say about this! :D

I downloaded that Josefus album actually as it sounded pretty appealing, but this reminds me that I haven't listened to it yet! i will remedy that, tonight. Also got that THe Misunderstood track .. "Golden Glass" I believe? .. from some compilation of psych tracks from the late 60s, and it's great! I wasn't aware of the High Tide connection though, and tha'st really cool as I have had "Sea Shanties" for a long time now and love it! I think the others are all new to me, so I'll take a gander on the net and decide what I should look for.

BTW, have you heard this band from South Africa called Suck? I downloaded their only album some time ago and it's great .. they even cover "War Pigs" on it (this must have only come out a few months after "Paranoid") .. there may be a Grand Funk Railroad cover on there as well. Pretty raw stuff; none of the musicians are exemplary but it just has this really enjoyable and kind of dark and explosive sound to it that I really like.

I've heard of them and seen the album covers, but never actually managed to get any of their stuff. They're on my list.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:29 pm 

deathcorpse wrote:

Thanks, Deathcorpse! Unfortunately youtube is blocked from here, but I"ll check them out from home over the weekend.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:31 pm 

ksbluesfan wrote:

Yes! I have both of Taste's albums and love them .. they're not very heavy, but really emotional and great ... just a really nice sound and great guitarwork/vocals, with the sax being an occasional very pleasing touch.

And I've also heard of Granicus. The Geddy Lee comparison makes me a bit wary, but I'll definitely check them out as well.

DeathForBlitzkrieg
A Dead Man's Robe

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:50 pm 

Abominatrix wrote:
ksbluesfan wrote:

Yes! I have both of Taste's albums and love them .. they're not very heavy, but really emotional and great ... just a really nice sound and great guitarwork/vocals, with the sax being an occasional very pleasing touch.

Get one of Rory Gallagher's live albums, preferably Live in Europe, seeing that the amazing "Bullfrog Blues" is on it. I know the band from a friend, his name is also Gallagher (his dad is from Wisconsin), so he naturally checked it out and bought a couple of CDs.

yogibear
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:54 pm 

three man army
skid row w/gary moore
gravy train - s/t and ballad
t2 - it'll all come out in boomland

daemon_necromaton
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:47 pm 

Cactus kill. Get "Fully Unleashed", it'll crack your neck!

Mungo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:50 pm 

I enjoy the stuff that I have heard, however I don't have much of it. I must thank Gutterscream for posting those albums; I'll have to check them out.

As for what I do listen to from the era, I rather enjoy Budgie's early recordings and Leafhound's Growers of Mushrooms (they're like a heavier Zeppelin).

Fatal_Metal
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 5:13 am 

Just check out Gutterscream's RYM page

http://rateyourmusic.com/user_albums/al ... s_reviewed

We're indebted to him for it.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 8:57 am 

Captain Beyond's- debut is a classic, definately check that out if you haven't already.

Lucifier's Friend's debut too is pretty cool.

That High Tide band are weird, it's like Jim Morrison singing on a Blue Cheer record, think there's some violin on there too.

Symbolic12
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:47 am 

ANationalAcrobat wrote:
Captain Beyond's- debut is a classic, definitely check that out if you haven't already.

Sufficiently Breathless is worth checking out too. Its slightly better than the debut imo

Prodd
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:54 am 

I refuse to listen to 70's rock unless I have it on CD. :(

Just have Rory for now.

Bezerko
Vladimir Poopin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 10:30 am 

Abominatrix wrote:
deathcorpse wrote:

Thanks, Deathcorpse! Unfortunately youtube is blocked from here, but I"ll check them out from home over the weekend.

Holy McJesus, Grand Funk is great! This is quality rock right here people...

ryan_the_snake
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 5:28 pm 

GRAND FUNK RULES! The "Red" album and the live double album that came out soon after that are my faves. The bass sound is just so massive and the rhythm section is locked at all times. "Red" is their most aggressive and heaviest album, I think.

Some other random 70s gems worth checking out are:
Buffalo, "Volcanic Rock." Heavy, heavy riffing, angry gruff vocals, bluesy tracks, totally kick ass! From Australia. I've heard one or two of their other albums and I like this one best. One of the guys went on to be in Rose Tattoo.

Flower Travellin' Band, "Satori." You probably know this album, but it's worth mentioning anyway! Insanely good Japanese proto-metal. Super unique guitar playing, very "Eastern" sounding, banshee-like vocals, extended jamming... just about the best 70s heavy music you can find. There's nothing quite like this album.

Bang, "Mother/Bow to the King." Eclectic, slick hard rock with good musicianship, really layered songs, kind of heavy, some acoustic moments. Smoke a doob and put this on and you'll be in heaven.

Speed, Glue and Shinki, "Eve." SUPER crude heavy blues from Japan. Like an even more pummeling Blue Cheer or low-rent Cream. Their drummer, Joey Smith, was known for being an avid glue sniffer. I really love this album, it's so much fun and the druggy lyrics are great and really hilarious! Song titles include "Mr. Walking Drug Store Man" and "Stoned Out of My Mind." Mind you this was in 1971 Japan, a very conservative country where drug abuse was strongly looked down upon.

Rag I Ryggen, "s/t". Hard prog from Sweden with really catchy fuzzy guitar leads, energetic, youthful vocals and cool primitive synths. Full of youthful enthusiasm, I think these guys were only teenagers when this was recorded. Party time music, not really dark so don't bother if that's what you're after.

ryan_the_snake
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 5:44 pm 

Oh, I forgot to mention a couple more of my favorites!

Groundhogs, "Split" and "Thank Christ For the Bomb." Heavy, wailing power-trio blues rock with some proggy touches. "Split" is slightly heavier, with my favorite Groundhogs tune, "Cherry Red." Tony McPhee, the guitarist/singer, is a MONSTER guitar player, he lays down some really inventive and hard-charging solos. These are the only two records I've heard by Groundhogs, but they have four or five others that are supposedly not as good.

Edgar Broughton Band, "Wasa Wasa" and "Sing Brother Sing." More fuzzy, heavy blues-based British rock. The Broughtons are more political and satirical, with some experimental bits, doo-wop bits, folky bits... really eclectic. Of course, the heavy, fuzzy guitar stuff is what I like best. Broughton has a really great voice, sounds a lot like Captain Beefheart. Again, there are quite a few Edgar Broughton Band albums but these are the only two I've heard so I can't comment on their others.

cycloneofinsanity
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 2:09 am 

although it's late 70's, legend is maybe one of my favorite 70's heavy metal/rock bands. they only released one album called from the fjords in 1979....really good shit...seriously recommended. i'm pretty sure it's fairly obscure too.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 6:39 pm 

ANationalAcrobat wrote:
Captain Beyond's- debut is a classic, definitely check that out if you haven't already.

Lucifier's Friend's debut too is pretty cool.

That High Tide band are weird, it's like Jim Morrison singing on a Blue Cheer record, think there's some violin on there too.

That's a pretty good description of High Tide's sound all right, at least on that debut. And yes, ther'es lots of violin .. check out "Death Warmed Up" .. haha, what a song! That violin player went on to hawkwind in 1974 and played with them for several years. It still cracks me up sometimes to hear a crazy violin solo in the first version of "Motorhead", but hell, I think it's great.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 6:46 pm 

Ryan, that's great, and you described them all so well..I'm actually pretty familiar with Bang, FLower Travelin' Band (argh, love them!), and I have that Buffalo album and agree it's great! Really heavy, too .. I didn't know about the Rose Tattoo connection. THey seem to be legendary in Australia but I've not actually heard them .. any good? I have heard some songs from the others you mentioned, except for Speed, GLue and SHinki, who I have to look for now! Funny, first time I heard the Edgar Broughton band, I said, "hey, wait a minute, that's Captain Beefheart, it's got to be"..the singer does sound a hell of a lot like him!

Durandal1717
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 7:42 pm 

Not really obscure, but early Blue Öyster Cult is definitely this kind of style. Xarhanga is also very good, especially the first single Acid Nightmare.

Mungo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:31 am 

^ Indeed, they are a pretty enjoyable band. Blue Cheer are not obscure but is also recommended, particularly their debut. I unfortunately lost a couple of their albums when the computer crashed on me, so I'll have to re acquire them.

ryan_the_snake wrote:
Flower Travellin' Band, "Satori." You probably know this album, but it's worth mentioning anyway! Insanely good Japanese proto-metal. Super unique guitar playing, very "Eastern" sounding, banshee-like vocals, extended jamming... just about the best 70s heavy music you can find. There's nothing quite like this album.

Thanks for reminding me about this band; I've been meaning to look into them for some time now.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:49 am 

Mungo wrote:
^ Indeed, they are a pretty enjoyable band. Blue Cheer are not obscure but is also recommended, particularly their debut. I unfortunately lost a couple of their albums when the computer crashed on me, so I'll have to re acquire them.

ryan_the_snake wrote:

Thanks for reminding me about this band; I've been meaning to look into them for some time now.

You definitely should .. this inspired me to listen to "Satori" last night .. argh, what a cool album this is, and yes, damn heavy for its time, and also eerie with those ponderous doomy Japanese-sounding melodies that never want to leave your head. I particularly love the fifth part, but it all really is great. Haha, I adore the way it all starts so quietly with the clean guitar, there's a weird whistling sound and then a block of silence .. and suddenly ... a wail of "AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!" at banshee pitch before the heavy riff comes crashing down. haha, it's just magical, and so over the top, it's basically metal for sure.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:03 am 

What a fucking incredible thread. I listen to a lot of "classic rock" and somehow it never crossed my mind to dig a little deeper and see what else was out there from this era. Here I was thinking Sir Lord Baltimore was as obscure as it gets.

This thread has pretty much altered the course of my day. I plan on listening to every album Gutterscream mentioned (plus a few more from his RYM page) culminating with a bowl or two and my first time listening to Satori when I get home from work.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:12 am 

Jonpo wrote:
What a fucking incredible thread. I listen to a lot of "classic rock" and somehow it never crossed my mind to dig a little deeper and see what else was out there from this era. Here I was thinking Sir Lord Baltimore was as obscure as it gets.

This thread has pretty much altered the course of my day. I plan on listening to every album Gutterscream mentioned (plus a few more from his RYM page) culminating with a bowl or two and my first time listening to Satori when I get home from work.

Sir Lord Baltimore is pretty obscure, or at least they were until recently (or so it seems, now a lot more people are talking about them). But man, I'll join you for that bowl and listening session! Hey, for anyone who's curious, and needs more incentive, I just submitted a review for "Satori".. I love the damn thing more each time I listen to it. They were really as heavy and unique as Black Sabbath at the time!

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:20 am 

Abominatrix wrote:
Hey, for anyone who's curious, and needs more incentive, I just submitted a review for "Satori".. I love the damn thing more each time I listen to it. They were really as heavy and unique as Black Sabbath at the time!

It was your review that piqued my interest. The whole thing was written with such enthusiasm, it became obvious I was missing out on some fucking special music. Thats the reason I decided to check out this thread, and to make Satori the centerpiece, so to speak, of my listening experience.

Symbolic12
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:38 am 

Looks like we forgot to mention Pentagram :headbang:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4S_fHpqJVLc

The Devil's Blood is worth mentioning too
http://www.myspace.com/thedevilsblood

Kruel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:40 am 

Symbolic12 wrote:

Abominatrix in the OP wrote:
Pentagram
yeah, it's ironic, they are so pretentious, yet one can say that at least they don't pretend. They don't release some techno-rap-whatever album and say "on this record we tried to sound like in our old days"

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:54 am 

Jonpo wrote:
Abominatrix wrote:
Hey, for anyone who's curious, and needs more incentive, I just submitted a review for "Satori".. I love the damn thing more each time I listen to it. They were really as heavy and unique as Black Sabbath at the time!

It was your review that piqued my interest. The whole thing was written with such enthusiasm, it became obvious I was missing out on some fucking special music. Thats the reason I decided to check out this thread, and to make Satori the centerpiece, so to speak, of my listening experience.

Yeah, I've been really feeling that album, and these days I can never write a review unless I'm feeling really enthusiastic about something, which is probably why I barely ever get around to doing negative ones. Why talk about shit when there's so much worthy of praise out there that doesn't get discussed? Anyway, wish I could drop in for your listening session. :lol:

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:55 am 

Kruel wrote:
Symbolic12 wrote:

Pentagram

Aye, we'll never forget Pentagram!

But what's this Devil's Blood? Hm.

Symbolic12
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:50 pm 

Abominatrix wrote:
Kruel wrote:
Symbolic12 wrote:

Pentagram

Aye, we'll never forget Pentagram!

But what's this Devil's Blood? Hm.

hmm my brain went out of order there :P

And The Devil's Blood is a new band but I think they still fit the bill. Judging by their 70s sound

deathcorpse
Super Cres at Best

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:48 pm 

And WITCHCRAFT from Sweden..especially the first album.

Abominatrix, did you check those YOUTUBE videos at all that I posted?

~Guest 3496
Exterminator 666 Does Not Answer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:02 pm 

Demian is a pretty cool band. They released one self-titled album in '71, I think. They were previously known as Bubble Puppy and released A Gathering of Promises in '69. That one has a more psychedelic flair, while the Demian record trims some of the excesses while maintaining their ability to pull of convincing heavy tunes and endearing softer ones. You can score both albums on a fairly recent digipack reissue.

I should also mention Poobah's bruising hard rock (some tunes are almost metal) and killer lead guitar. Winterhawk is another one with really great soloing (check out the live version of "Free to Live").

I'll also recommend Sarcofagus from Finland. All of their stuff was released in the '80s, but has a definite '70s vibe. Awesome stuff.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next