Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:17 pm 

You should be glad I liked it in the first place!

And I just noticed that Del Toro didn't direct The Orphanage, but my review stands because he was still involved in it and it was a great movie.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:36 pm 

Yes, Del Toro produced it.

I'm gonna go see Hulk tonight, by myself. :(
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:37 pm 

Nahsil wrote:
I'm gonna go see Hulk tonight, by myself. :(

:(

Bring your pedophile brother along!

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:39 pm 

I asked him from behind his closed door and he hesitated like I had interrupted him then said no. I shudder to think about what he's doing in there.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:43 pm 

Heh.

Well either way, it's a good film so you'll have a nice time out. Do you usually go out alone? If not, maybe it's a good break from the normal routine of always being with people when you go out.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:47 pm 

Nah I don't go out with friends much, but that's ok, Ed Norton is my friend.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:49 pm 

If you're a huge nerd like me you'll have a big orgasm when he says his immortal phrase near the end.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:49 pm 

He sure is man.

EzraWeeden
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:54 pm 

Dead Alive - Best zombie movie I've seen in a while. Great mix of comedy and gore. The zombie baby was fucking classic. 8/10

Riki-Oh: The Story of Ricky - Pretty good gore and has some pretty funny parts. A lot of plot holes, but still good fun. 6/10

Ichi the Killer - I didn't really understand it. Wasn't as fucked up as I was hoping, but still pretty fucked. Dissapointment. 5/10

iiz50p
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:27 am 

anyone seen Chemical Wedding by Bruce Dickinson yet?
or is it actually out yet

josephus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:41 pm 

rexxz wrote:
If you're a huge nerd like me you'll have a big orgasm when he says his immortal phrase near the end.
Pretty good movie, I thought.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:03 pm 

I'm watching Flags of Our Fathers, great stuff, I always love a good war film (recs please, more obscure stuff, different conflicts...whatever) I like it how the Indian can't handle his drink...although who can blame him, there were lots of fucked up Nam vets in Australia when I lived there, completely destroyed by war.

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:12 pm 

Watched Teeth last night. It's about a woman with vagina dentata---vagina teeth. It was awesome. :lol:

But really, the actress won an award for it at Sundance 2007, she did a really good job, and the premise is just so horribly gruesome and funny that it would have been impossible not to be entertained no matter who wrote the script or directed it.

josephus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:17 pm 

ANationalAcrobat wrote:
I'm watching Flags of Our Fathers, great stuff, I always love a good war film (recs please, more obscure stuff, different conflicts...whatever)
Have you seen it's 'Sister' movie, Letters from Iwo Jima? I think that it is superior to Flags of our Fathers.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:19 pm 

josephus wrote:
ANationalAcrobat wrote:
I'm watching Flags of Our Fathers, great stuff, I always love a good war film (recs please, more obscure stuff, different conflicts...whatever)
Have you seen it's 'Sister' movie, Letters from Iwo Jima? I think that it is superior to Flags of our Fathers.

I have, it was better. Still good though. Anyway more war recs.

Cryptwatcher
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:51 pm 

So my girlfriend and I went to go see the new M. Night Shamylan (spelling?) movie called the happening. I knew this would be a mistake.

2/5 stars

The only way I can define this movie is that it is ridiculous. The plot is completely unbelievable (not the good way), and M. Night's directing style is just recycled garbage from his previous movies with pop up gags. (The Sixth Sense with the ghost walking across the hallway, Signs with the alien walking across the drive way, and this movie where the diseased old woman walks past a window suddenly) It is just even more of MNS's recycled suspense garbage. His only good movies in my opinion are The Sixth Sense, and Signs. That is it.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:54 pm 

The Sixth Sense is the only one I've seen from him, and it was okay, but it also felt ridiculously silly and pompous, and very overdramatic and weepy. A 3.25/5 movie on a good day.

aChapo
Token Jew

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:23 pm 

So me and my friend made a hexahop on Monday, we saw (in this order):

The Hulk - 5/5 - AMAZING, nothing else is necessary.
The love guru - 3.5/5 - If you enjoy dick jokes, this movie is for you.
Narnia: Prince Caspian - 4.5/5 - It was pretty good, unfortunately its a children story, so you couldn't expect them to kill, they all just pussied out.
Get Smart - 5/5 - REALLY funny, though Minsk is in Belarus, not Russia.
Kung Fu Panda - 4/5 - It was good, but not much substance, it was kinda "empty", if it makes sense.
The Happening - 5/5 - I thought it was PERFECT, nothing else to say.

On July 21st, we will watch:
Batman
Wanted
Hancock
Wall-e
Helboy 2

Masked_Jackal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:10 pm 

I've been seeing a lot of Hulk-love which I'm not getting at all.

It might just be that I was spoiled so hard from Iron Man's flawless graphics but the Hulk and Abomination looked fucking terrible. Norton was alright, and Tim Roth was pretty cool but Liv Tyler makes me want to punch babies or kill weepy-elves or terminally ill chicks, whatever the hell she was in LotR.

I didn't find the writing or story good enough to really care about what was happening between Hulk-outs and stuff so it was kind of just bouncing from "I've gotta control it, my life sucks!" to "I love him even though he's a monster. My dad sucks!" to "I got kicked into a tree so now I've gotta show up a super-soldier experiment gone wrong. When I talk in Abomination form I suck!"

The only really enjoyable part I found was when they were trying to have sex in the motel and Bruce says "No...I can't..." and Betty lets out a heavy sigh.
1.5/5

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:32 pm 

Masked_Jackal wrote:
I've been seeing a lot of Hulk-love which I'm not getting at all.

It might just be that I was spoiled so hard from Iron Man's flawless graphics but the Hulk and Abomination looked fucking terrible. Norton was alright, and Tim Roth was pretty cool but Liv Tyler makes me want to punch babies or kill weepy-elves or terminally ill chicks, whatever the hell she was in LotR.

I didn't find the writing or story good enough to really care about what was happening between Hulk-outs and stuff so it was kind of just bouncing from "I've gotta control it, my life sucks!" to "I love him even though he's a monster. My dad sucks!" to "I got kicked into a tree so now I've gotta show up a super-soldier experiment gone wrong. When I talk in Abomination form I suck!"

The only really enjoyable part I found was when they were trying to have sex in the motel and Bruce says "No...I can't..." and Betty lets out a heavy sigh.
1.5/5

My impression was inbetween...I didn't like it nearly as much as Iron Man, but I didn't think it was bad. 3/5 or so. I didn't like the way the Hulk looked either, and yeah, the rival supersoldier guy seemed underdeveloped. But the acting and pacing and most of the plot were all pretty good.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:43 pm 

The Ruins - 3.5/5

If you're one of those people who hates gore and the sticky red stuff, avoid this like the characters in this movie tried to avoid those diabolical plants. This is a moribund, grotesque and gore-streaked romp that seems to flow like a challenge to the viewer: how long can you last without turning this off? Because the gore never lets up, and it just keeps getting more and more fucked up and dire. It doesn't care who you are.

As for the movie itself, it isn't the most original out there, being of the new school of "trapped in the wilderness with some immense, unexplainable force of nature that's killing us in bloody, horrible ways," and it's like The Descent's meaner, uglier big brother - although not as well written or involving as that masterpiece was. There are some more innovative scenes though, although I will not spoil them. Not essential, but if you can't get enough of the gore, this is a good one to go rent. Otherwise, avoid.

Masked_Jackal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:50 pm 

Nahsil wrote:
My impression was inbetween...I didn't like it nearly as much as Iron Man, but I didn't think it was bad. 3/5 or so. I didn't like the way the Hulk looked either, and yeah, the rival supersoldier guy seemed underdeveloped. But the acting and pacing and most of the plot were all pretty good.
Tim Roth did a good job, I'd say, but I might really just like Tim Roth. Also, there was that scene with the really hot Brazilian chick when Ed Norton is escaping out the window; she just got out of the shower and she was all wet and in a blue shirt...:drool:

There were apparently a couple of Captain America references too. The only one I caught was at the end when Tony Stark says something about keeping the Super Soldier serum on ice.

Ice.

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! :metal:

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:02 pm 

Masked_Jackal wrote:

This sort of oversimplification can be applied to any movie.

Iron Man was just "I'm a rich bastard and I can do anything I want!" "But wait I almost died so now I gotta be a good person", and "Should I bang this chick that's been working for me?" "Oh but I better not, I'm a superhero now".

Deucalion
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:23 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
The Orphanage - 4.75/5

Such sophistication in ghost stories is rarely heard of, but Guillermo Del Toro manages to pull it off time and time again, and somehow he even managed to inject his magic into this one, which he only produced. This is no exception, a dark, powerful, and moving masterpiece that both adheres to convention and brings some new, more artistic elements to the table in the direction and storytelling.

One thing I like about this one and Del Toro's previous masterpiece The Devil's Backbone is that they take horror-esquire plot lines and twist them into something much, much greater than a simple ghost/horror story. This has style and class all the way through, and every bit of it is tailored to a polished sheen. His stories always have this emotional impact to them that you wouldn't expect in movies like this - usually in a ghost story, the emotional layer is pretty thin, but here it runs as deep as blood. Well written character dialogue only adds to the reasons why this is so good.

People will call this a generic ghost story, but those people aren't watching hard enough. The Orphanage may not pack as many jumpy, jittery moments as movies like The Ring, but it's not supposed to - this is a ghost story for the mature.

I wanted to see that, but it never came to the closest theater.

Masked_Jackal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:52 pm 

rexxz wrote:
Masked_Jackal wrote:

This sort of oversimplification can be applied to any movie.

Iron Man was just "I'm a rich bastard and I can do anything I want!" "But wait I almost died so now I gotta be a good person", and "Should I bang this chick that's been working for me?" "Oh but I better not, I'm a superhero now".
What the hell, you didn't even use the word "Suck" :nono:

I understand any movie can be simplified like that, if a movie can't be summed up in such a way then it's gonna be a weird fucking movie. I felt The Hulk suffered from having no charm whatsoever, whereas Iron Man had charm and pizazz out the ass (as well as CGI that didn't look like walking clumps of shit).

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:55 pm 

The Hulk's CGI was perfect. Brutal and ugly, as it should be.

And who the fuck wants charm in a Hulk film? Tony Stark is about charm and wit, the Hulk is not.

Masked_Jackal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:02 pm 

I don't mean the character of the Hulk not having any charm, I fully expect him to have zero charm, I was referring to the movie itself. The story just didn't pull me in the same way. Maybe charm isn't the right word...

I do not understand how you could think that CGI was anywhere near good. Usually I don't care, but it looked way out of place to me.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:08 pm 

I don't understand how you could think it was bad! :lol:

Masked_Jackal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:11 pm 

Eh, guess I'm weird :)

Even though I didn't enjoy The Hulk too much I am still very much excited for the upcoming Marvel movies :D

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 6:15 am 

You Don't Mess With The Zohan - 1/5

My god, two hours of dick and hummas jokes. Seriously, that's the whole movie. Think of the suit that Ben Stiller had in Dodgeball, and then imagine that EVERY SINGLE JOKE IN THE MOVIE revolved around that.

Heard people saying it wasn't his best, but it was better than a lot of his recent films, it most definitely isn't. It could actually be worse than Chuck & Larry.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 6:26 am 

lord_ghengis wrote:
You Don't Mess With The Zohan - 1/5

My god, two hours of dick and hummas jokes. Seriously, that's the whole movie. Think of the suit that Ben Stiller had in Dodgeball, and then imagine that EVERY SINGLE JOKE IN THE MOVIE revolved around that.

Heard people saying it wasn't his best, but it was better than a lot of his recent films, it most definitely isn't. It could actually be worse than Chuck & Larry.

Adam Sandler is getting redundant, in my view. He needs to change style, and quick. I didn't mind some of his movies (Billy Madison, but even then you can't watch that repeatedly), but his quirks and mannerisms are not funny anymore.

The Happening was the last movie I saw. It was nowhere near as bad as others had been saying, but it was not awesome either. I would recommend it, though...it has enough of a good storyline to keep you interested. The acting was piss-poor, though. Seriously, what was with that?

I hope to see Get Smart tomorrow. Steve Carrell is full of win.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 9:04 am 

MikeyC wrote:

Hate that guy, one of the least funny comedians I know of. Horrendously overrated, this generations Seinfeld.

Wra1th1s
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 11:16 am 

MikeyC wrote:

So very true! Plus Anne Hathaway is :drool:
we sail across the sea!

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 11:17 am 

lord_ghengis wrote:
MikeyC wrote:

Hate that guy, one of the least funny comedians I know of. Horrendously overrated, this generations Seinfeld.

He's actually one of the funniest comedians, not to mention a great actor. He just gets stuck in terrible movie roles. His character on The Office is absolutely fantastic though, and really shows his skills.

DanFuckingLucas
Witchsmeller Pursuivant

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 11:26 am 

rexxz wrote:
lord_ghengis wrote:
MikeyC wrote:

He's actually one of the funniest comedians, not to mention a great actor. He just gets stuck in terrible movie roles. His character on The Office is absolutely fantastic though, and really shows his skills.

I don't know how funny he himself is, but his role as Brick in Anchorman was fucking gold. I really love that movie. I've seen it maybe 20 times and I still laugh.

Sex panther. It's scientifically proven that 60% of the time it works, all the time.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 11:28 am 

Slipstream - 1/5

What a load of self indulgent, headache inducing crap. Like a retarded Pulp Fiction this movie stumbles and trips its way through inane, disjointed plotlines and characters you don't really know anything about, and I couldn't stand to watch more than 30 minutes of it. Shame, I figured this would be good. Avoid this at all costs.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 11:29 am 

Yeah he was pretty funny in Anchorman, but he's pretty notorious for having terribler movie roles in general. Especially amongst the Carell fans on the officetally website, they (we) are always complaining that he rarely gets to perform at his best in movies.

josephus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 11:30 am 

My copies of The Prestige and Galapagos arrived today. [Mr. Burns]Excellent...[/Mr. Burns]

DanFuckingLucas
Witchsmeller Pursuivant

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 11:32 am 

rexxz wrote:
Yeah he was pretty funny in Anchorman, but he's pretty notorious for having terribler movie roles in general. Especially amongst the Carell fans on the officetally website, they (we) are always complaining that he rarely gets to perform at his best in movies.

Yeah, like Evan Almighty which is awful (in comparison to Bruce Almighty which was awesome).

Jo - The Prestige is absolutely fucking brilliant. 9.5/10 - seriously watch it. Now.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 11:33 am 

Fuck that, The Prestige got my full marks. :p It is an amazing movie.

And Bruce Almighty is awesome. For some reason I hear people saying they don't like it these days, which is strange.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 818  Next